Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Can I use it in a food-related context? "grilled sheep bowels with lemon juice"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Can I use it in a food-related context? "grilled sheep bowels with lemon juice"?
I don't think anybody would eat it if you did.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To be honest, ostap, it's not a dish I'd be tempted to order from a menu in a restaurant, or thank you for if you served it to me as a guest at your dinner table.

I'd rather just have the lemon juice.

Rover

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It doesn't sound very appetising to me, but yes. Often, in a food context, unpleasant-sounding things are given euphemisms - don't know if there's one for 'bowels'. Perhaps the generic 'lights', or perhaps 'innards'...:?:

b

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It doesn't sound very appetising to me, but yes. Often, in a food context, unpleasant-sounding things are given euphemisms - don't know if there's one for 'bowels'. Perhaps the generic 'lights', or perhaps 'innards'...:?:

b

We were having a conversation about different exotic foods anyone has ever tried. I was talking to an American friend of mine and he said that he would use the word "guts" instead of ''bowels" when talking about food. Frankly it doesn't sound good but it was very delicious.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
To be honest, ostap, it's not a dish I'd be tempted to order from a menu in a restaurant, or thank you for if you served it to me as a guest at your dinner table.

I'd rather just have the lemon juice.

Rover

It's more like fast food. You get it from a street-side stand like hot dogs.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's more like fast food. You get it from a street-side stand like hot dogs.

'Different strokes for different folks!' Fast food is an excuse for some very strange tastes. One of the favoured Roman finger-foods was grilled rat - the tail made a very convenient handle.

b

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

Hog intestines as food are called "chitterlings" (pronounced CHIT-linz and often spelled "chitlins"). A Google search reveals that many people call sheep intestines as food "sheep chitterlings", which is much better than "bowels", which brings toilets to mind. A similar food word is, variously, "numbles", "umbles" or "humbles", which properly applies to deer only, and includes all the edible viscera. That's pretty rare.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Isn't "tripe" exactly it? (I do love beef tripe soup with lots of pepper and marjoram.)

PS: Oh, sorry, I was wrong. It's made of stomachs, not bowels.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am not a teacher.

Hog intestines as food are called "chitterlings" (pronounced CHIT-linz and often spelled "chitlins"). A Google search reveals that many people call sheep intestines as food "sheep chitterlings", which is much better than "bowels", which brings toilets to mind. A similar food word is, variously, "numbles", "umbles" or "humbles", which properly applies to deer only, and includes all the edible viscera. That's pretty rare.

Didn't know that about chitterlings. Thanks ;-)

b

PS (I'm surprised that you mentioned umbles without mentioning 'a napron'.)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Oy! I think I'm going to organ-ize a protest against bad puns! I simply can't stomach them! ;-)

And, OP, I think what you probably had was sheep intestines, not the bowels (two different body parts with different functions). Sheep intestines are common in Turkey and other Mediterranean countries, but like most meals consisting of an animals internal organs, they give it a more appetizing name. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.