Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
We Indians generally don't know to pronounce R as the native English speakers in our talks, however we can make the sound (its written as zha)that seems similar to just like the natives.

We give so much stress to the letter, that it looks like its gonna fly out of our mouths...RRRRRed instead of jus Red.got it?

Now my question is the sound (zha or zhe) same as native English (mostly Americans than British) speakers for r?

To get a taste of that sound, i link you to a Tamil song, in which the singer uses zha. Its between 43 and 44 seconds into the song. The singer sings "mazhaiai" which means rain.

So for us Indians, Red spoken (by natives), would sound as Zhed.

The song : youtube.com/watch?v=gmwkjlwziC8

Lyrics: tinyurl.com/49g3a3n

Thanks

I know its confusing..sorry:oops:

Last edited:

thatone

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'm not sure what they're using in the song, but after taking a look at Malayalam phonology, I'd say that the closest thing to an English "r" would be /ɻ/, which is ഴ in Malayalam (considering that വഴി is /ʋɐɻi/ according to Wikipedia); in fact /ɻ/ can still be found in American English.

EDIT: If ഴ is "zh," then yeah, it's correct, though the most common realization of "r" is /ɹ/.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To get a taste of that sound, i link you to a Tamil song, in which the singer uses zha. Its between 33 and 34 seconds into the song. The singer sings "mazhaiai" which means rain.

.../QUOTE]
:?: From 0'14" to 0'40" (maybe before and after - I'm not made of time;-)) there is no voice. I think you may be referring to what is called 'a rolled R'. Not every speaker of Br Eng can do it (in my choir, for example, the conductor says things like "Emphasize the 'r'. Those who can roll it, do.) And while some speakers of Br Eng can do it, and do do it sometimes, it's not phonemic - as it is, say, in Spanish (where it distinguishes between pero (=but) and perro (=dog)).

b

hellbraker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
To get a taste of that sound, i link you to a Tamil song, in which the singer uses zha. Its between 33 and 34 seconds into the song. The singer sings "mazhaiai" which means rain.

.../QUOTE]
:?: From 0'14" to 0'40" (maybe before and after - I'm not made of time;-)) there is no voice. I think you may be referring to what is called 'a rolled R'. Not every speaker of Br Eng can do it (in my choir, for example, the conductor says things like "Emphasize the 'r'. Those who can roll it, do.) And while some speakers of Br Eng can do it, and do do it sometimes, it's not phonemic - as it is, say, in Spanish (where it distinguishes between pero (=but) and perro (=dog)).

b

im sorry, the timings are from 43 to 44 seconds. Thanks for your comments. I was refering to the ഴ in Malayalam which is /ɻ/ as thatone said.

So using /ɻ/ is still correct. Hmmm..Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.