Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 425
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Dare as a modal verb in the past

    In this thread it is said that

    http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...odal-verb.html

    "B Dared you contradict her? <auxiliary verb>
    In B, dared carries the past tense marker"


    So, shall I take it as modal dare has its past form expressed by DARED?

    Could you then explain to me the difference?

    (1)I dared enter the room.
    (2)I dare have entered the room.

    (I think that modal verbs can easily take perfect infinititve as in (2)

  1. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,819
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Dare as a modal verb in the past

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post
    In this thread it is said that

    http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...odal-verb.html

    "B Dared you contradict her? <auxiliary verb>
    In B, dared carries the past tense marker"


    So, shall I take it as modal dare has its past form expressed by DARED?

    Could you then explain to me the difference?

    (1)I dared enter the room.
    (2)I dare have entered the room.

    (I think that modal verbs can easily take perfect infinititve as in (2)
    ♥♦♣♠ NOT A TEACHER ♥♦♣♠
    The modal verb dare doesn't normally take a perfect infinitive - the reason being that it is not the same as other modal verbs like could or should - the others can convey an idea of possibility, probability etc.; dare cannot.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Dare as a modal verb in the past

    The safest advice I can offer to learners is, "Do not use dare as a modal verb". In informal conversation we don't use dare much anyway, partcularly in the affirmative, even as a full verb; we prefer alternatives.

    ? I dared to cross the road.
    I wasn't afraid to cross the road.
    I plucked up my courage to cross the road
    .

    The modal dare is so rarely used in the past, that it is almost true to say that the usage it is archaic

    Dared you contradict her? Unnatural for most speakers.
    I dared enter the room. Probably more natural with dared to.
    I dare have entered the room. I cannot think of a situation in which this would be a natural, acceptable utterance.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 425
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Dare as a modal verb in the past

    What about affirmative sentences in the present? I heard that it's not very good to use dare in such sentences.

    I dare (to) go there.

    Is it true?

  3. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,819
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Dare as a modal verb in the past

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post
    What about affirmative sentences in the present? I heard that it's not very good to use dare in such sentences.

    I dare (to) go there.

    Is it true?
    Yes, that's true. Just use other verbs that would convey the meaning of your choice.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Dare as a modal verb in the past

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post

    The modal dare is so rarely used in the past, that it is almost true to say that the usage it is archaic

    I dare have entered the room. I cannot think of a situation in which this would be a natural, acceptable utterance.
    True, but "I didn't dare enter the room" is quite acceptable.
    "I didn't dare tell her what I really thought", etc.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 425
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Dare as a modal verb in the past

    What about the future tense with dare?


    I will dare to dream of the future.

    Is it ok to use it? I think there must be a modal aspect of will involved. Or is it not involved?

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Dare as a modal verb in the past

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post
    What about the future tense with dare?

    I will dare to dream of the future.
    This is not right.

    Is it ok to use it? I think there must be a modal aspect of will involved. Or is it not involved?
    A: "Do you think she'll got out with him?"
    B: "I don't think he will dare to ask her."

    If in doubt, don't use 'dare'. There are always other ways of saying these things.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 425
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Dare as a modal verb in the past

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    A: "Do you think she'll got out with him?"
    B: "I don't think he will dare to ask her."

    If in doubt, don't use 'dare'. There are always other ways of saying these things.
    I am confused. Why is it wrong in my example and ok in yours?

  6. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,819
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Dare as a modal verb in the past

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post
    I am confused. Why is it wrong in my example and ok in yours?
    For the meaning of Raymott's sentence is negative; of yours not.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Modal Dare and negation
    By ucetnanic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 16-Jan-2011, 15:38
  2. Need and Dare in the past form
    By MoHammaD_93 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-Oct-2009, 23:26
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2009, 16:38
  4. The verb 'to dare'
    By undeddy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-Apr-2009, 15:11
  5. DARE as normal and modal verb
    By cleopenelope in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20-Feb-2007, 16:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •