[Idiom] I have your number (Of course not!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Hiya,

Has anyone of you ever stumbled on the idiom to have somebody´s number meaning to look right through somebody or [FONT=&quot]I´ve got you sussed out / you´ve been rumbled?

If at all, it should rather be of American origin, I reckon.

Greetings

Hucky

[/FONT]

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well it's given as an idiom in the OALD.

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Dear fivejedjon,

I´ve just checked. I couldn´t believe my eyes. If it is included in the OALD, it must be quite common. I wouldn´t have thought so because every time I have used it (in a jocular way) with native speakers they told me they had never heard that idiom before. From this I concluded that it had to be either restricted to regional usage or obsolete. Since I can´t even remember where I picked it up, I couldn´t rule out that I might have confused it. I even tried to locate it on the internet - and failed. So, sometimes the solution can be nearer than expected. The next thing I´m going to do is to look it up in similar monolingual dictionaries.

Thanks for the hint!

Hucky

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I should have added that I know the expression. I am not sure whether I actually use it, but I think I have done so.

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
What would you say instead in the same meaning?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What would you say instead in the same meaning?
Hmmm.

I think that these days I would probably say, "I've got him/her sussed". Possibly to older friends (in both senses - elderly, and friends for a long time) I'd say, "I've got his/her number".

If the person concerned has been deliberately putting on an act, I might say,"I've seen through him/her", or "I've rumbled him/her".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Certainly it is AmE, and where I live not uncommon. But in AmE it really can't be "I have your number". It's got to be "I've got your number." :)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Same goes for Br Eng. It's rather old-fashioned; as 5jj said, 'to have/get/have got someone sussed' is more common today, but 'got' would be required.

b

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Dear probus,

I´ve just replied to you on my other thread. So, what you have written here seems to be extra evidence that the have got-form is quite common in the US and thus not restricted to the UK.
Coming back to the idiom itself, if I´ve got that right, you´d say that the average American would understand it.

Hucky

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Dear BobK,

To begin with, thanks a lot!

Do you mean to say that the idiom in question would no more be commonly understood or used in the UK, thus being obsolete or archaic?

Hucky

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It would depend on the audience. Older people would understand it and recognize it, but the number of people who use it is diminishing (as more and more of us fall off our perch!) ;-).

b

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Coming back to the idiom itself, if I´ve got that right, you´d say that the average American would understand it.

Hucky

I think so, but in this forum I have learned that there are differences between American and Canadian usage, contrary to what I had always believed. So I'd best leave your question for our American friends to answer.

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

AFAIK "I've got his number" is quite common and easily understood in the United States. Although now that I think about it it's probably most commonly used in the third person, he/she has someone's number.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
@Vidor: Although now that I think about it it's probably most commonly used in the third person, he/she has someone's number.

I think this goes for my part of the world too: "It looks like she's got your number" (got you figured out) sounds natural, although slightly dated, ".. got you sussed" is the dominant form.

Status
Not open for further replies.