Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Hi Everybody,

I'd like to know how to pronounce "Detail" in British English and American English respectively, some people say the wordstress should be in the first syllable for British English while the wordstress is in the second syllable for American English, but I am not sure if it is correct...please advise.

EngFan

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The first syllable is stressed in BrE. According to a poll conducted by John Wells, 75% of Americans stress the first syllable, 25% the second.

Wells, JC (2008) Longman Pronunciation Dictionary, 3rd edn, Harlow: PearsonLongman.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Yes, I have this pronunciation dictionary as well, any people from America could tell me how do you pronounce "detail"?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I have this pronunciation dictionary as well, any people from America could tell me how do you pronounce "detail"?

:?: Wells has answered the question. I don't see the point in asking it again, with a smaller sample-size.

Naturally, the Am E stress is beginning to influence some speakers of Br Eng. For example, a speaker of Br Eng would include, in a list of Jack Nicholson films, The Last De`tail (in fact in the military context - especially in combined forces such as NATO or forcces coordinated by the UN - I wouldn't be surprised if Br Eng speakers stress the second syllable anyway).

Rhythm is also significant. In 'every detail of my life' a dah-dee-dah-dee-dah-dee-dah rhythm favours the Br E stress; but in 'right down to the last detail' it strikes me as more euphonious (=sounds nicer - $10 word!) to use the stress dee-dah-diddy-dah-dee-dah.

But it's not the RP choice, as 5jj said.

b

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'd like to know how to pronounce "Detail" in British English and American English [STRIKE]respectively[/STRIKE],
Hi EngFan. The word "respectively" doesn't fit here.

Status
Not open for further replies.