Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,437
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    future tenses+ready heard it

    This one is from a Canadian series "The lisener". It's about a paramedic who could read minds. So a person is about to be discharged from the hospital and goes like

    "What? They are going to kick me out of here already?!"

    I've heard people using it with past and present tenses. It's the first time with the future simple tense. Is it grammatically correct?
    Last edited by ostap77; 01-Mar-2011 at 10:20.

  1. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,819
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Question Re: future tenses+ready heard it

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    This one is from a Canadian series "The lisener". It's about a paramedic who could read minds. So the is about to be discharged from the hospital and goes like

    "What? They are going to kick me out of here already?!"

    I've heard people using it with past and present tenses. It's the first time with the future simple tense. Is it grammatically correct?
    Everything's fine with that sentence. And I seem to have failed to notice a future tense being used in there. Didn't you actually mean the going-to construction instead?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,437
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: future tenses+ready heard it

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Everything's fine with that sentence. And I seem to have failed to notice a future tense being used in there. Didn't you actually mean the going-to construction instead?
    Yes! Technically it's not a future tense but we use talk about future events.
    Sorry for the typo. I meant "a person". So "I will be/I'm going to be boiling it for 5 min alreday" is OK as well?
    Last edited by ostap77; 01-Mar-2011 at 10:35.

  2. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,819
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: future tenses+ready heard it

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Yes! Technically it's not a future tense but we use talk about future events.
    Sorry for the typo. I meant "a person". So "I will be boiling it for 5 min alreday" is OK as well?
    Already can also be used with other tenses than just the two you've mentioned, as long as you mean that what is/has been/will be expected to happen happens before the expected time.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,080
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: future tenses+ready heard it

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Yes! Technically it's not a future tense but we use talk about future events.
    Sorry for the typo. I meant "a person". So "I will be/I'm going to be boiling it for 5 min alreday" is OK as well?
    "I'm going to be/will be boiling it for five minutes already" is very poor English.

  4. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,819
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Arrow Re: future tenses+ready heard it

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "I'm going to be/will be boiling it for five minutes already" is very poor English.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Sorry ostap77 - I never commented on your sentence because I was merely focusing on the adverb already and its usage.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 434
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: future tenses+ready heard it

    I am not a teacher.

    "Already" has two standard meanings. The first definition in the AHD on line is: "By this or a specified time; before: 'The children were already asleep when we got home.'" This would not work in your sentence: "What? They are going to kick me out of here by this time?!"

    The second is: "So soon: 'Are you quitting already?'" This would work: "What? They are going to kick me out of here so soon?!" This "going to" is not really future, it expresses volition.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,437
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: future tenses+ready heard it

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolfootluke View Post
    I am not a teacher.

    "Already" has two standard meanings. The first definition in the AHD on line is: "By this or a specified time; before: 'The children were already asleep when we got home.'" This would not work in your sentence: "What? They are going to kick me out of here by this time?!"

    The second is: "So soon: 'Are you quitting already?'" This would work: "What? They are going to kick me out of here so soon?!" This "going to" is not really future, it expresses volition.
    How about the third meaning? 3)Nonstandard Used as an intensive: Be quiet already. Enough already.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 434
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: future tenses+ready heard it

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    How about the third meaning? 3)Nonstandard Used as an intensive: Be quiet already. Enough already.
    I am not a teacher.

    I ignored that for our purposes. I think of it as a Yiddishism (whether it is or not), not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is not a core meaning.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,437
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: future tenses+ready heard it

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolfootluke View Post
    I am not a teacher.

    I ignored that for our purposes. I think of it as a Yiddishism (whether it is or not), not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is not a core meaning.
    I'm getting sidetracked but I've been hearing a lot of "already" at the end of a sentence. "Give me that already!" and "Nothing that we don't know already."
    Presumably the speakers were not of the Jewish origin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. future tenses
    By gogelova in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-Nov-2010, 03:25
  2. ready mixed or ready cooked food
    By ostap77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Nov-2010, 15:54
  3. Need help with future tenses
    By breezykb in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Sep-2008, 03:10
  4. help with future tenses ?
    By teelewis in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-Sep-2007, 13:20
  5. Future tenses or Future perfect tenses?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-Mar-2006, 13:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •