Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
This one is from a Canadian series "The lisener". It's about a paramedic who could read minds. So a person is about to be discharged from the hospital and goes like

"What? They are going to kick me out of here already?!"

I've heard people using it with past and present tenses. It's the first time with the future simple tense. Is it grammatically correct?

Last edited:

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
This one is from a Canadian series "The lisener". It's about a paramedic who could read minds. So the is about to be discharged from the hospital and goes like

"What? They are going to kick me out of here already?!"

I've heard people using it with past and present tenses. It's the first time with the future simple tense. Is it grammatically correct?

Everything's fine with that sentence. And I seem to have failed to notice a future tense being used in there. Didn't you actually mean the going-to construction instead? :?:

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Everything's fine with that sentence. And I seem to have failed to notice a future tense being used in there. Didn't you actually mean the going-to construction instead? :?:

Yes! Technically it's not a future tense but we use talk about future events.
Sorry for the typo. I meant "a person". So "I will be/I'm going to be boiling it for 5 min alreday" is OK as well?

Last edited:

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Sorry for the typo. I meant "a person". So "I will be boiling it for 5 min alreday" is OK as well?

Already can also be used with other tenses than just the two you've mentioned, as long as you mean that what is/has been/will be expected to happen happens before the expected time.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Sorry for the typo. I meant "a person". So "I will be/I'm going to be boiling it for 5 min alreday" is OK as well?
"I'm going to be/will be boiling it for five minutes already" is very poor English.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
"I'm going to be/will be boiling it for five minutes already" is very poor English.

:up: Couldn't agree more.
Sorry ostap77 - I never commented on your sentence because I was merely focusing on the adverb already and its usage.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

"Already" has two standard meanings. The first definition in the AHD on line is: "By this or a specified time; before: 'The children were already asleep when we got home.'" This would not work in your sentence: "What? They are going to kick me out of here by this time?!"

The second is: "So soon: 'Are you quitting already?'" This would work: "What? They are going to kick me out of here so soon?!" This "going to" is not really future, it expresses volition.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I am not a teacher.

"Already" has two standard meanings. The first definition in the AHD on line is: "By this or a specified time; before: 'The children were already asleep when we got home.'" This would not work in your sentence: "What? They are going to kick me out of here by this time?!"

The second is: "So soon: 'Are you quitting already?'" This would work: "What? They are going to kick me out of here so soon?!" This "going to" is not really future, it expresses volition.

How about the third meaning? 3)Nonstandard Used as an intensive: Be quiet already. Enough already.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about the third meaning? 3)Nonstandard Used as an intensive: Be quiet already. Enough already.
I am not a teacher.

I ignored that for our purposes. I think of it as a Yiddishism (whether it is or not), not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is not a core meaning.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I am not a teacher.

I ignored that for our purposes. I think of it as a Yiddishism (whether it is or not), not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is not a core meaning.

I'm getting sidetracked but I've been hearing a lot of "already" at the end of a sentence. "Give me that already!" and "Nothing that we don't know already."
Presumably the speakers were not of the Jewish origin.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm getting sidetracked but I've been hearing a lot of "already" at the end of a sentence. "Give me that already!" and "Nothing that we don't know already."
We've discussed this already, Ostap -
subscribed.gif
Grammar correct

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

Some 12% of New York City is Jewish. American English has been influenced by Yiddish, among many other languages and cultures. Me, I like the way Jews talk. I'll even say oy vey once in a while.

Your first example employs the "already" from definition 3, but your second does not.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

It would be English a person might hear from a new-comer to GB or the US?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It would be English a person might hear from a new-comer to GB or the US?
Possibly. I consider it poor English only because of 'already'. Without that word, it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.