• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Default to divert a flight / to interrupt a flight

Hello,

My piece is about aircraft and their operation. I don't know what "to divert a flight" means. Does it imply "to send it to a different place" or "to send it to a different airport"? The same question about "to interrupt a flight". Is the meaning of this phrase "to stop a plane from taking off so that it stays at an airport for some time waiting for further orders/instructions"? Or the intended meaning is "to suddently tell pilots to start descending and land somewhere before they have reached a destination airport"?

The Operator shall have the right to delay the departure of an aircraft, to decrease its authorised payload, to substitute aircraft, or to divert, interrupt or cancel a flight whenever commercial, operational, technical or safety reasons so require

Thanks!!!

The Dude is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: to divert a flight / to interrupt a flight

'divert' could mean what gillnetter has said, or 'send to another destination/airport instead of to the original one'. eg: 'the flight was diverted to Glasgow because thick fog at Heathrow prevented a landing there.'

'Interrupt' is an odd word here. Stopping the take-off has already been covered by the earlier mention of delay. Your own interpretation is probably the best and it could include the aircraft returning to its departure airport.

This must be an extract from the 'Terms and Conditions' of a flight operator (airline) or an aviation authority. Phrased in a typical legal style, it is designed to prevent an irate passenger demanding compensation when something goes wrong. The writer is trying to cover all possibilities, and I'd say he's succeeded!