Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
So we can do this after you come back from your holidays? I will happily wait until then.
/ I will be happy to wait until then.

I know that the last one is common but is the first one incorrect? :roll:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So we can do this after you come back from your holidays? I will happily wait until then.
/ I will be happy to wait until then.

I know that the last one is common but is the first one incorrect? :roll:
It is not incorrect. I prefer the second, though (at least, with a contracted I'll)

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It is not incorrect. I prefer the second, though (at least, with a contracted I'll)

Sounds like in many cases English speaking people prefer to substitute adverbs with "-ly" with some other words or phrases, though I can not think of any examples right now.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

:up: Same here.

In other contexts the <modal>+<adverb> is common though. I think I'd say 'Many town-dwellers would happily sell-up and move to the country', for example. In that case, 'would be happy to' would be right too; but I imagine it's less common...:?: (Maybe this just my random preference.)

b

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:up: Same here.

In other contexts the <modal>+<adverb> is common though. I think I'd say 'Many town-dwellers would happily sell-up and move to the country', for example. In that case, 'would be happy to' would be right too; but I imagine it's less common...:?: (Maybe this just my random preference.)

b
I am not a teacher.

It's my preference, too. The meanings are different, I'd say. The town-dweller sells happily, but the waiter does not so much wait happily as be happy to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.