Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
I am not sure if I should use present tense or past tense as the event has yet to happen. Which is correct (a) or (b)

(a) We write further to our telephone conversation yesterday wherein you advised that you would be out of town from March 1, 2011 and that you were unsure when you would be back; therefore you were not available to attend the meeting on April 15, 2011

OR

(b) We write further to our telephone conversation yesterday wherein you advised that you will be out of town from March 1, 2011 and you are not sure when you will be back therefore you are not available to attend the meeting on April 15, 2011

thank you

thomas615

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Thank you

If she is going out of town beginning March 15 and this date is in two weeks time, is it OK to write "......you advised that you would be out of town beginning March 15, 2011 and you were unsure when you would be back...."

I am still trying to learn how to use reported speech.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you

If she is going out of town beginning March 15 and this date is in two weeks time, is it OK to write "......you advised that you would be out of town beginning March 15, 2011 and you were unsure when you would be back...."

I am still trying to learn how to use reported speech.

That sounds perfect to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.