Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"There's been a lot of buzz over his having developed a new method for such a complex problem." OK? Can I say "him having developed a new method"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"There's been a lot of buzz over his having developed a new method for such a complex problem." OK? Can I say "him having developed a new method"?
Yes

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

Some say yes. I think it sounds wrong. The question of the possessive with the gerund is a point of dispute in English right now. I say use it when you can, but whichever way you do it, you will sound wrong to somebody.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What about "him developing" in this context? Would it mean the same?
Not necessarily.

There's been a lot of buzz over him/his having developed a new method for such a complex problem. The development of the method is finished.

There's been a lot of buzz over him/his developing a new method for such a complex problem.The developing may still be going on.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Not necessarily.

There's been a lot of buzz over him/his having developed a new method for such a complex problem. The development of the method is finished.

There's been a lot of buzz over him/his developing a new method for such a complex problem.The developing may still be going on.

So I can mean both things? "He reported to the police being mugged." In tis one it's clear that he's been mugged. There is no need to say "having been mugged"?

Status
Not open for further replies.