• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

• Post Thanks / Like

"my inference is", "I infer that" and substitutes for these two

In one of the threads, some native speaker of English, While commenting on a threadstarter's post, said sentences with "my inference is" and "I infer that". (I am afraid "some" is offensive here. No offense intended indeed.)

I am sure that almost all of us have inferences about the posts and example sentences in them. Despite this, I had never heard any of the native speakers here say "inference" or "infer". My question is how do you talk about your inference when you do not use "inference" and "infer" themselves. I am looking for some synonyms and substitutes. I myself would say:"What I understood from your sentences is that...", but I am looking for some other sentences and phrases.

Thank you very much in advance!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: "my inference is", "I infer that" and substitutes for these two

Quote Originally Posted by Khosro View Post
    In one of the threads, some native speaker of English, While commenting on a threadstarter's post, said sentences with "my inference is" and "I infer that". (I am afraid "some" is offensive here. No offense intended indeed.)

I am sure that almost all of us have inferences about the posts and example sentences in them. Despite this, I had never heard any of the native speakers here say "inference" or "infer". My question is how do you talk about your inference when you do not use "inference" and "infer" themselves. I am looking for some synonyms and substitutes. I myself would say:"What I understood from your sentences is that...", but I am looking for some other sentences and phrases.

Well I have no objection to it, and wouldn't be surprised if I had used it. I think I might prefer something less dry, as in your 'What I understand...'.

On the basis of that verb, but maintaining the grammatical function of inference, you could also say 'My understanding is....'.

You could also demonstrate your appreciation of the difference between 'implication' and 'inference' (and earn several Brownie points in so doing) by saying 'The implication of what you say is that...'.

b

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: "my inference is", "I infer that" and substitutes for these two

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Well I have no objection to it, and wouldn't be surprised if I had used it. I think I might prefer something less dry, as in your 'What I understand...'.

On the basis of that verb, but maintaining the grammatical function of inference, you could also say 'My understanding is....'.

You could also demonstrate your appreciation of the difference between 'implication' and 'inference' (and earn several Brownie points in so doing) by saying 'The implication of what you say is that...'.

b
    "My understanding ..." and "The implication of..." are both useful. I knew "implication" but It's impersonal I think. "Understanding" was a word I had all forgotten about.

Any other ideas?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

You could use 'gather'. Eg: " Am I to gather from your comments, Mr Roberts, that you are not in favour of reducing the speed limit?". This Mr Roberts is a politician who cannot give a straight answer.

"I gather from Julia that her sister's unhappy in her new job". Julia has said enough for me to infer this, without necessarily telling me outright.

However I wouldn't be afraid to use 'infer' - it's not used enough, perhaps because people are aware of 'imply' but haven't learnt the difference.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

"It seems to me..." is one way of putting it.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post

However I wouldn't be afraid to use 'infer' - it's not used enough, perhaps because people are aware of 'imply' but haven't learnt the difference.

"My understanding ..." and "The implication of..." are both useful. I knew "implication" but It's impersonal I think. "Understanding" was a word I had all forgotten about.

Any other ideas?
    Since the word 'synonym' has been mentioned, I hope you haven't inferred from what I said that 'inference' is synonymous with 'implication'. I didn't mean to imply that. It's just that often the two words can be appropriately applied to different aspects of a common situation.

Returning to the list of possibilities:

'[But] that suggests/seems [to me] to suggest...'

Or, more combatively, 'Are you trying to suggest...?' or 'Do you [really] expect <whoever> to believe/conclude/infer...?'

b

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post

Since the word 'synonym' has been mentioned, I hope you haven't inferred from what I said that 'inference' is synonymous with 'implication'. I didn't mean to imply that. It's just that often the two words can be appropriately applied to different aspects of a common situation.

Returning to the list of possibilities:

'[But] that suggests/seems [to me] to suggest...'

Or, more combatively, 'Are you trying to suggest...?' or 'Do you [really] expect <whoever> to believe/conclude/infer...?'

b
    No, what matters to me is the "common situation". The reason I said "synonyms" was just to make me understood.

Those were usefull guys. Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Well, GUILTY as charged. I use "infer/inference" as "arriving at a conclusion by reasoning from evidence" (Webster). The "evidence", as provided in many of the posts here, is often presented out of context and therefore one must draw his/her best conclusion by evaluating the posts at face value.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Despite this, I had never heard any of the native speakers here say "inference" or "infer".
    To get back to your OP:

I long ago gave up using 'infer'. I am a closet pedant, and I just got bored with explaining the difference between infer and imply. I began to feel that I was the only person still breathing who recognised a distinction that was perhaps no longer justified. Typical example dialogue:

5jj: I am an atheist
    5jj's sister: If our mother were still alive, she'd be turning in her grave to hear you say that.
    5jj: Would you like to rephrase that so that it makes some form of sense?
    5jj's sister: Are you trying to infer that I'm stupid?
    5jj: No. I may have implied that. It seems that you managed, despite your limited intelligence, to infer it.

5jj's sister. So you are inferring that I have laminated inelligence.
    5jj: I didn't even imply it. It was pretty explicit.

5jj's sister. Ex-what?
    5jj: QED.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    To get back to your OP:

I long ago gave up using 'infer'. I am a closet pedant, and I just got bored with explaining the difference between infer and imply. I began to feel that I was the only person still breathing who recognised a distinction that was perhaps no longer justified. Typical example dialogue:

5jj: I am an atheist
    5jj's sister: If our mother were still alive, she'd be turning in her grave to hear you say that.
    5jj: Would you like to rephrase that so that it makes some form of sense?
    5jj's sister: Are you trying to infer that I'm stupid?
    5jj: No. I may have implied that. It seems that you managed, despite your limited intelligence, to infer it.
    5jj's sister. So you are inferring that I have laminated inelligence.
    5jj: I didn't even imply it. It was pretty explicit.
    5jj's sister. Ex-what?
    5jj: QED.
    Are you implying that now I am the "only person breathing" who recognizes the distinction? Because that's what I infer from your post. And I'm not sure about the "breathing".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast