Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    Khosro's Avatar
    Khosro is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default "my inference is", "I infer that" and substitutes for these two

    In one of the threads, some native speaker of English, While commenting on a threadstarter's post, said sentences with "my inference is" and "I infer that". (I am afraid "some" is offensive here. No offense intended indeed.)

    I am sure that almost all of us have inferences about the posts and example sentences in them. Despite this, I had never heard any of the native speakers here say "inference" or "infer". My question is how do you talk about your inference when you do not use "inference" and "infer" themselves. I am looking for some synonyms and substitutes. I myself would say:"What I understood from your sentences is that...", but I am looking for some other sentences and phrases.

    Thank you very much in advance!

  2. #2
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post Re: "my inference is", "I infer that" and substitutes for these two

    Quote Originally Posted by Khosro View Post
    In one of the threads, some native speaker of English, While commenting on a threadstarter's post, said sentences with "my inference is" and "I infer that". (I am afraid "some" is offensive here. No offense intended indeed.)

    I am sure that almost all of us have inferences about the posts and example sentences in them. Despite this, I had never heard any of the native speakers here say "inference" or "infer". My question is how do you talk about your inference when you do not use "inference" and "infer" themselves. I am looking for some synonyms and substitutes. I myself would say:"What I understood from your sentences is that...", but I am looking for some other sentences and phrases.

    Thank you very much in advance!
    Well I have no objection to it, and wouldn't be surprised if I had used it. I think I might prefer something less dry, as in your 'What I understand...'.

    On the basis of that verb, but maintaining the grammatical function of inference, you could also say 'My understanding is....'.

    You could also demonstrate your appreciation of the difference between 'implication' and 'inference' (and earn several Brownie points in so doing) by saying 'The implication of what you say is that...'.

    b

  3. #3
    Khosro's Avatar
    Khosro is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "my inference is", "I infer that" and substitutes for these two

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Well I have no objection to it, and wouldn't be surprised if I had used it. I think I might prefer something less dry, as in your 'What I understand...'.

    On the basis of that verb, but maintaining the grammatical function of inference, you could also say 'My understanding is....'.

    You could also demonstrate your appreciation of the difference between 'implication' and 'inference' (and earn several Brownie points in so doing) by saying 'The implication of what you say is that...'.

    b
    "My understanding ..." and "The implication of..." are both useful. I knew "implication" but It's impersonal I think. "Understanding" was a word I had all forgotten about.

    Any other ideas?

  4. #4
    The Dude is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "my inference is", "I infer that" and substitutes for these two

    You could use 'gather'. Eg: " Am I to gather from your comments, Mr Roberts, that you are not in favour of reducing the speed limit?". This Mr Roberts is a politician who cannot give a straight answer.

    "I gather from Julia that her sister's unhappy in her new job". Julia has said enough for me to infer this, without necessarily telling me outright.

    However I wouldn't be afraid to use 'infer' - it's not used enough, perhaps because people are aware of 'imply' but haven't learnt the difference.

  5. #5
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "my inference is", "I infer that" and substitutes for these two

    "It seems to me..." is one way of putting it.

  6. #6
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "my inference is", "I infer that" and substitutes for these two

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    ...

    However I wouldn't be afraid to use 'infer' - it's not used enough, perhaps because people are aware of 'imply' but haven't learnt the difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by Khosro View Post
    "My understanding ..." and "The implication of..." are both useful. I knew "implication" but It's impersonal I think. "Understanding" was a word I had all forgotten about.

    Any other ideas?
    Since the word 'synonym' has been mentioned, I hope you haven't inferred from what I said that 'inference' is synonymous with 'implication'. I didn't mean to imply that. It's just that often the two words can be appropriately applied to different aspects of a common situation.

    Returning to the list of possibilities:

    '[But] that suggests/seems [to me] to suggest...'

    Or, more combatively, 'Are you trying to suggest...?' or 'Do you [really] expect <whoever> to believe/conclude/infer...?'

    b

  7. #7
    Khosro's Avatar
    Khosro is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "my inference is", "I infer that" and substitutes for these two

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post



    Since the word 'synonym' has been mentioned, I hope you haven't inferred from what I said that 'inference' is synonymous with 'implication'. I didn't mean to imply that. It's just that often the two words can be appropriately applied to different aspects of a common situation.

    Returning to the list of possibilities:

    '[But] that suggests/seems [to me] to suggest...'

    Or, more combatively, 'Are you trying to suggest...?' or 'Do you [really] expect <whoever> to believe/conclude/infer...?'

    b
    No, what matters to me is the "common situation". The reason I said "synonyms" was just to make me understood.

    Those were usefull guys. Thanks.

  8. #8
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "my inference is", "I infer that" and substitutes for these two

    Quote Originally Posted by Khosro View Post
    In one of the threads, some native speaker of English, While commenting on a threadstarter's post, said sentences with "my inference is" and "I infer that". (I am afraid "some" is offensive here. No offense intended indeed.)

    I am sure that almost all of us have inferences about the posts and example sentences in them. Despite this, I had never heard any of the native speakers here say "inference" or "infer". My question is how do you talk about your inference when you do not use "inference" and "infer" themselves. I am looking for some synonyms and substitutes. I myself would say:"What I understood from your sentences is that...", but I am looking for some other sentences and phrases.

    Thank you very much in advance!
    Well, GUILTY as charged. I use "infer/inference" as "arriving at a conclusion by reasoning from evidence" (Webster). The "evidence", as provided in many of the posts here, is often presented out of context and therefore one must draw his/her best conclusion by evaluating the posts at face value.

  9. #9
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "my inference is", "I infer that" and substitutes for these two

    Quote Originally Posted by Khosro View Post
    Despite this, I had never heard any of the native speakers here say "inference" or "infer".
    To get back to your OP:

    I long ago gave up using 'infer'. I am a closet pedant, and I just got bored with explaining the difference between infer and imply. I began to feel that I was the only person still breathing who recognised a distinction that was perhaps no longer justified. Typical example dialogue:

    5jj: I am an atheist
    5jj's sister: If our mother were still alive, she'd be turning in her grave to hear you say that.
    5jj: Would you like to rephrase that so that it makes some form of sense?
    5jj's sister: Are you trying to infer that I'm stupid?
    5jj: No. I may have implied that. It seems that you managed, despite your limited intelligence, to infer it.

    5jj's sister. So you are inferring that I have laminated inelligence.
    5jj: I didn't even imply it. It was pretty explicit.

    5jj's sister. Ex-what?
    5jj: QED.

  10. #10
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: "my inference is", "I infer that" and substitutes for these two

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    To get back to your OP:

    I long ago gave up using 'infer'. I am a closet pedant, and I just got bored with explaining the difference between infer and imply. I began to feel that I was the only person still breathing who recognised a distinction that was perhaps no longer justified. Typical example dialogue:

    5jj: I am an atheist
    5jj's sister: If our mother were still alive, she'd be turning in her grave to hear you say that.
    5jj: Would you like to rephrase that so that it makes some form of sense?
    5jj's sister: Are you trying to infer that I'm stupid?
    5jj: No. I may have implied that. It seems that you managed, despite your limited intelligence, to infer it.
    5jj's sister. So you are inferring that I have laminated inelligence.
    5jj: I didn't even imply it. It was pretty explicit.
    5jj's sister. Ex-what?
    5jj: QED.
    Are you implying that now I am the "only person breathing" who recognizes the distinction? Because that's what I infer from your post. And I'm not sure about the "breathing".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Defining "Street," "Road," "Avenue," "Boulevard"
    By ahumphreys in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-Dec-2010, 07:14
  2. [Vocabulary] Difference between "health" and "wellness", "Diagnosis" and "Analysis"
    By tobysky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2010, 22:43
  3. [Vocabulary] How do you pronounce "Cotton", "Button", "Britain", "Manhattan"...
    By Williamyh in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2009, 08:36
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2008, 08:27
  5. confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2007, 19:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk