Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

Here is the sentence from the text published in WSJ:

For the Marketing and Customer Value class students must write, in fewer than 150 words, a compelling email convincing executives to implement a marketing and pricing strategy.

What is the difference between compelling and convincing regarding the word 'letter'? Can I say: 'convincing letter' instead of 'compelling letter' changing the verb 'convince' for 'urge' in the above sentence?

Thank you in advance.

marmoset

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

Here is the sentence from the text published in WSJ:

For the Marketing and Customer Value class students must write, in fewer than 150 words, a compelling email convincing executives to implement a marketing and pricing strategy.

What is the difference between compelling and convincing regarding the word 'letter'? Can I say: 'convincing letter' instead of 'compelling letter' changing the verb 'convince' for 'urge' in the above sentence?

Thank you in advance.

*just an assistant ESL teacher

Indeed compelling and convincing are very similar. I don't see anything wrong with, " a convincing letter compelling executives..." or "a convincing letter urging executives..."

:)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Indeed compelling and convincing are very similar. I don't see anything wrong with, " a convincing letter compelling executives..." :-( or "a convincing letter urging executives...":up:
If you compel someone to do something, you force them to do it; I don't think that it's natural in the position I have underlined.

If something is a compelling read, you are virtually forced to read it. If it's convincing, you believe it. The words are reasonably naturally used in the OP, but I feel that they are not interchangeable.

marmoset

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you. This is why I am here. To learn also and better help my students in the future. I think perhaps I have slightly misunderstood the meaning of compel in my life.

:)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think perhaps I have slightly misunderstood the meaning of compel...
Not necessarily. Your original "compelling and convincing are very similar" is true in some contexts.

I shudder to think of some of the partially true, and at times wholly untrue, assertions I made in my early days of teaching. If I am still around in ten years, I will almost certainly look back at some of the things I wrote in this forum in 2010 and think, "How could I have believed that?"

One of the exciting things about teaching for me is that I continue to learn, and to refine (and occasionally reject) ideas that I had previously believed to be absolutely true.

marmoset

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not necessarily. Your original "compelling and convincing are very similar" is true in some contexts.

I had always thought that if I feel compelled to do something, it is not that I feel forced but more like drawn to do it.

I shudder to think of some of the partially true, and at times wholly untrue, assertions I made in my early days of teaching. If I am still around in ten years, I will almost certainly look back at some of the things I wrote in this forum in 2010 and think, "How could I have believed that?"

That is why I love to preface almost everything with, "I think" or "I guess" or "I believe". ;-)

One of the exciting things about teaching for me is that I continue to learn, and to refine (and occasionally reject) ideas that I had previously believed to be absolutely true.

As should be the case in all areas of our lives. :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I had always thought that if I feel compelled to do something, it is not that I feel forced but more like drawn to do it.
The second of these two quotations from the OALD shows that your thoughts reflect current usage - in the right context:

1,The law can compel fathers to make regular payments for their children.
2.He spoke with an authority that compelled the attention of the whole crowd.

and (also from the OALD):

Her latest book makes compelling reading.

marmoset

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hmmm...perhaps I am just tired and missing something.

Based on what you quoted, why is it so different to say, " a convincing letter compelling executives..." ? I can't seem to find the implication of force.

Thanks in advance.

marmoset

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh nevermind. I visited the OALD and I see that it is because it is used in the progressive tense.

Thank you again.

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Your comments reflect my principle:
'The moment I stop learning as a teacher, I stop being a teacher'.
Sometimes I have to stop myself because I want to squeeze so much into such a short period of time, I mean the length of my classes. That is why I am turning to web applications in the classroom.
Seeing the effect they have, convinces my students they can only benefit from using these applications. And finding out that IT is making studying a little easier for students, compels my colleagues to start using web applications as well.
I hope I my example sentences are correct.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

"Compelling", the adjective, is adspeak. If you use it at all, you will sound like your process is all TVed up. It is an empty word used by semi-literates who think it makes them seem more important. If ever you find that you've written it, delete it, and use a word or phrase that says what you actually mean, instead.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Compelling", the adjective, is adspeak. If you use it at all, you will sound like your process is all TVed up. It is an empty word used by semi-literates who think it makes them seem more important.
I must be semi-literate then.
If ever you find that you've written it, delete it, and use a word or phrase that says what you actually mean, instead.
Well, 'compelling' occasionally conveys what I actually mean.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I am not a teacher.

"Compelling", the adjective, is adspeak. If you use it at all, you will sound like your process is all TVed up. It is an empty word used by semi-literates who think it makes them seem more important. If ever you find that you've written it, delete it, and use a word or phrase that says what you actually mean, instead.

How about "compelling arguments"? Would you reject that too? It's quite common. To me, it means "particularly forceful/convincing arguments."

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about "compelling arguments"? Would you reject that too? It's quite common. To me, it means "particularly forceful/convincing arguments."
That's only because you were out sick the day they taught "cogent" in English class. "Compelling" is a vapid catch-all for those with limited vocabulary. You might as well say "awesome". (And I'll let this suffice as an answer to my friend 5 whose toes must be smarting. I calls 'em like I sees 'em.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That's only because you were out sick the day they taught "cogent" in English class. "Compelling" is a vapid catch-all for those with limited vocabulary. You might as well say "awesome". (And I'll let this suffice as an answer to my friend 5 whose toes must be smarting. I calls 'em like I sees 'em.)
I respond only because I don't want learners to believe that your opinions, to which you have a perfect right, are not absolute rules.

For most speakers of English on both sides of the pond, 'a compelling argument' is as acceptable an expression as 'a cogent argument'. I am in the business of helping learners acquire acceptable English, not of dictating my personal ideas on what the best style is.

In this particular case, I feel that there are times when an argument may be compelling but nor necessarily cogent.

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Dear Coolfootluke,

Thank you for drawing my attention to two interesting words: 'cogent' and 'vapid'.
They are definitely worth learning.
But coming back to my post 'compelling' vs 'convincing'.
The sentence I cited is taken from the article 'Students struggle for words', published on March 3, 2011 in the 'Wall Street Journal'. The author is Diana Middleton. Frankly, I do not think such a reputable magazine would employ staff with a limited knowledge of English. Being a non-native speaker, I can't argue with you, but I do come across the word 'compelling' in solid and reputable publications in English.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Coolfootluke,

Thank you for drawing my attention to two interesting words: 'cogent' and 'vapid'.
They are definitely worth learning.
But coming back to my post 'compelling' vs 'convincing'.
The sentence I cited is taken from the article 'Students struggle for words', published on March 3, 2011 in the 'Wall Street Journal'. The author is Diana Middleton. Frankly, I do not think such a reputable magazine would employ staff with a limited knowledge of English. Being a non-native speaker, I can't argue with you, but I do come across the word 'compelling' in solid and reputable publications in English.
I am not a teacher.

Your point is well taken, but I'm afraid the only answer I have would seem immodest and harsh. Just be aware that there are others like me in the woodwork. Cheers.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Dear Coolfootluke,

No ill grace or hard feelings on my part. Actually, the reason I post questions on this forum is to improve my English and, I have been quite open about it, to convey the information I receive to my students. Knowing how popular American English is, officially we stick to British English, and I have always thought it is not an issue really, I prefer to supply my students with more or less standard version that is acceptable and understandable everywhere.
Your information is so unusual (LOL) and interesting. Do not hide in the woodwork next time I post a question.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does TVed up mean?
I am not a teacher.

It's a reference to a movie, "Twelve Monkeys". The Brad Pitt character is somewhat mentally unbalanced but quite clever. He complains to anyone who'll listen about the adverse effect that the media has had on the mind of the average person. He says that their "process" is that. Ironic, because I saw it on TV.

I hope I didn't insult you too much---just the right amount. I wasn't talking about you, I'm sure you understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.