Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
:roll:
Hello teachers,
Could anybody tell me the difference between "excluded students" and "suspended students" at school? I read both terms in a newspaper article and I gather they both refer to sending the child home, but I suppose they don't mean exactly the same, do they?
Thanks a lot:lol:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, a student who is suspended may not return to school for a defined period of time. (When I grew up, they had "in-house suspension" so they were in one room the whole day with only books, rather than getting a "vacation.") You can have a one-day, three-day, or week-long suspension, for example.

A student who is not allowed to return to school has been expelled.

I am not familiar with the term "excluded."

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Exclusion is, I believe, the current BE expression for suspension from school for a specified period of time - possibly until the pupil's parents guarantee his/her future good conduct.

I stand to be corrected by practising teachers.

Rover

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: I don't know when the change happened. In my school days, people were expelled, but today they're excluded - and the difference is thought to be so significant that politicians correct people who talk about 'expulsion'.

Perhaps the thing is that exclusion is the general term, and can either be temporary (suspension) or permanent ('expulsion'). But I don't know.

'Expulsion' is still used for paying schools - unless they choose a more hi-falutin' term like 'sent down' or 'sequestered' or 'rusticated' (copying the usage of some universities). People get 'excluded' from a state school, but not from Eton!

b

Status
Not open for further replies.