Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,
I need to close my account in the English bank and I have to request it in writing. Please have a glance if this is appriopriate:

To whom it may concern
I would like to close my bank account which I have set up in Lloyds TSB in Mosley St branch. I have been staying in Poland for the past two years thus I am receiving no more income in England and there is no perspectives to me for going back to England, so this bank account became dispensable for me. Please try not to consider turning down my request.

Yours sincerely
XYZ

Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Keep it simple:

The Customer Services Manager
Lloyds Bank plc
Mosley St
Blankton.

Dear Sir/Madam

I no longer need to keep a bank account in England. Please close my account, number XXXXXXX, with immediate effect. I have destroyed my cheque book and bank cards.

Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

Macio

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you :). They told me that I have to motivate my request - do you think your version is enough? English banks can be PITA (pain in the ***), I found it out personally.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Who told you that you have to motivate your request? If you are asking the bank to sponsor an event, that's different, but you have a right to close your account without any reason at any time.

You wrote originally " Please try not to consider turning down my request."
It's not a request, it's an instruction, and the bank must follow that instruction - unless there are irregularities in the account.

Macio

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I called them, because I thought that instructing them over the phone is enough. What I have learnt was: 1. I need to do that in writing, 2. I need to motivate my request (literally "request"). It doesn't pay for bank to cancel customers' accounts, so they'll use the flimsier excuse to prolong the process... Maybe in England they are more accessible, but you wouldnt guess what I have been through because of remote banking. Anyways I'll write to them as you suggest and hope to derive nothing but good of it ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.