Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Is it computer science or computer sciences when we talk about it as a subject studied at a University? I mean like Physics.

I've looked up a number of University websites and it's computer science. When is "computer sciences" used? On the other hand I wonder why it's "University guide 2010: Computer sciences and IT"?

Last edited:

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd say it's only a minor point and not worth worrying about. Normally we use the singular, but perhaps in using the plural the course title is emphasizing separate disciplines in the subject.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I'd say it's only a minor point and not worth worrying about. Normally we use the singular, but perhaps in using the plural the course title is emphasizing separate disciplines in the subject.

It would be like if I talked about it in general it's "computer science" but when we talk about a department at a University that teaches computer-related things it's "computer sciences"?

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It could be, but perhaps a computer-science teacher should be consulted to be sure. Otherwise, just use the singular and everything will be fine. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.