Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Hong Kong
I'm relatively new to English and I need some help with sentence structures. :-D

He looked angrily as fireworks were displayed and celebration taking place on the streets.

He, living an opulent lifestyle, is unconceivable.

Sometimes in life, we are faced with difficult situations in which we are forced to make decisions.

I believe some of the words or sentence structure (in bold) are wrong?

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What about "displayed"?

Kyoma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks.

How about the following:

I grabbed a ball and ran. Should it be 'ran' or 'run'?

I am tired. Where is the verb?

kazewolf

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Should be ran, because "grabbed" is in past tense and "ran" is also past tense.
"am" is the verb; remember that a verb is an action verb OR it can express a state of being, so in this case "am" is expressing a state of being.

Not a teacher. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Not a teacher. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct, kazewolf - you gave a clear and accurate response.

The forum guidelines state: "You are welcome to reply to any of the questions posted in the Ask a Teacher Forum, even if you are not a teacher. In fact, your answers and contributions are most welcome. However, you will need to state clearly in your post that you are not teacher."

You follow these guidelines, unlike some members. Thank you. However, if you feel that an answer may be wrong, it might be better to wait until a teacher has responded first. This is not a criticism of your post here; there was no need to worry at all, but by writing, "Please correct me if I'm wrong", you are planting doubts in people's minds.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Pardon me but I don't think learners can believe easily in the answers given by who are not English teacher! The first feeling of them is always a doubt, as I do, and then they will decide by themselves if it's correct, of course they must have some base knowledge in their mind first or find more in books on the problem they are asking to help themselves what is surely wrong or what is still in doubt. The most believable sources for learners are from English textbooks and English teachers (native English teachers are better to me). However, I like people, all learners, teachers and natives, can join in a thread to show their own opinions, the teachers can point out the mistakes from other members who are not teacher (natives, learners,...). It will make the forum more exciting, the thread can last for many pages, haha. Maybe only I like that!
Please forgive me if someone reading this feels it's so stupid or ridiculous! :(

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Pardon me but I don't think learners can believe easily in the answers given by who are not English teacher!
That's up to the learner.

I have found that some of the answers posted by non-teachers and non-native speakers in this forum are clear and helpful precisely because they do not fall into those two categories. They understand clearly what helped them to understand a point, and are able to pass this on.

The biggest problem with answers in this forum, and indeed in most forums, is that some people with insufficient knowledge/understanding of a point insist on giving answers, and these may be partly, sometimes wholly, incorrect. It is true that many of these people are not teachers and/or not native speakers but some native speakers and/or teachers are not as knowledgeable as one would expect them to be.

Last edited:

Kyoma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Hong Kong
So, can someone help me? From what I heard, it should be 'run'. I'm not sure. And where is the verb in the 'I am tired' sentence? :?:

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
So, can someone help me? From what I heard, it should be 'run'. I'm not sure. And where is the verb in the 'I am tired' sentence? :?:

With my knowledge, and the most important thing is the affirmation from our teacher at the reply #6, you can be sure that "ran" (the past form of "run") should be used not "run" (the present form or the past participle form when going with "have/has/had").
In the sentence "I'm tired", the main verb is "am", I think "tired" is an adjective.
"tire" is also a transitive verb, so can we understand the sentence "I am tired" is a passive sentence not an active sentence with "tired" as an adjective?
For example: "I am tired by so many works every day".
Of course, I've always seen it as an active sentence and "tired" is an adjective before.
Please let me know if we can see that sentence as a passive sentence!
Thank you so much!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
See post#5.

Status
Not open for further replies.