Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If a country in the Eurovision song contest gets points, do we say "12 points go to" or "12 goes to"? Do we think about it as a mark or just a number of points that the country gets?

"How many points go on a record for 5 mph over the limit in Michigan?" from the Net.

The reason I was asking is that I was told that "12 points go to" would be incorrect and I was supposed to say "12 points goes to".

Last edited:

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If a country in the Eurovision song contest gets points, do we say "12 points go to" or "12 goes to"? Do we think about it as a mark or just a number of points that the country gets?

"How many points go on a record for 5 mph over the limit in Michigan?" from the Net.

The reason I was asking is that I was told that "12 points go to" would be incorrect and I was supposed to say "12 points goes to".

"did anyone notice one the eurovision song contest that when one counrty was giving their votes (i cant remember which country it was), messed up?? they gave 10 points to armenia, then someone said "can u say that again" and she was like laughing and saying "oh sorry, sorry, 10 points go to...... 12 points go to armenia" anyone think this was dodgy??"

I've been googling and I've figured out it's mainly "points go to" not "points goes to".

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Not a teacher.
I think '12 points go to ..." is correct.
I might say something like "12 points is a high score in this game".

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Not a teacher.
I think '12 points go to ..." is correct.
I might say something like "12 points is a high score in this game".

I've just watched the finals of the Eurovision song contest in Athens 2006. Here's what I heard from Malta and the UK. It's "points go to". Though some non-native speakers would say "points goes to". I'm going to be watching other Eurovision song contests so I might come up with something in more detail.

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
It depends on how you view the phrase 12 points.

If adjective (12) + noun (points), the verb agrees with the noun: 12 points go to. That is how I would say the phrase.

If noun (12) + modifying phrase (of the points), the verb agrees with the introducing noun: 12 (of the) points goes to. That is not how I would say the phrase, but I can see why some speakers might say it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.