Thread: help

1. mohammad

help

Hi

Dears

Would you help me with these

1)I come out in a rash if I eat chocolate ("a rash" here means just one rash or means rashes, because it doesn't make any sense "to come out in just one rash"

2)All we gotta do is find the boat that took him (shouldn't be "finding" or "to find"? or it's fine)

3) "Reigniting" I couldn't find the meaning of this word I wonder if its spell is correct

4) What is the most common way of reading (20/20 or Ļľ) (2≤ or 11≥) (3< 4 or 5>2) (√9)

5) Adolescents donít give each other cancer or heart disease because they believe they are in love, but HIV is different; (and we've helped it along)

Thanks a lot

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: help

1. Rash is a collective noun and is not used in the plural unless you are talking about more than one person. "He had a rash on his hands, feet and buttocks."

2. Gotta is colloquial for got to which includes the infinitival to which requires the infinitive form of the verb [to] find.

3. Re-ignite means to light (ignite) again.

4. twenty-twenty, one and a quarter, two squared, eleven cubed, three is loess than four, five is greater than two, square root of nine.

5. Adolescents can't give each other the first two diseases (they are not contagious) because they think that love protects them. They also think that love will protect them from AIDS.

• Post Thanks / Like

ANSWERS:
    1)rash here means the same as rice or sand, you don`t say one sand but a grain of sand, so rash should be thought of as some raised spots on one`s face for example

2) I have also come across sth like this and would be happy to be given any answer but what I want to say is that "finding' and "to find" is gramatically ok but I`m not sure if they have the same meaning

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Szymon
    "finding' and "to find" is gramatically ok but I`m not sure if they have the same meaning.
    Mykwyner has it right:
    2. Gotta is colloquial for got to which includes the infinitival to which requires the infinitive form of the verb [to] find.
    In other words, the main verb in 2) is a linking verb,

2) All we gotta do is find the boat that took him.

The verb is links the bare infinitive verbs do and find. If we change do into a to-infintive verb, to do, then find could be to find, like this,

2a) All we have to do is to find the boat that took him.

Note, there are two markers 'to', and since 'to' is stated twice, speakers will often omitted the second 'to', like this,

2b) All we have to do is find the boat that took him.

'finding' doesn't work though,

2c) All we have to do is finding the boat that took him. ungrammatical

'to do' and 'finding' are not the same structure. They need to be the same, like this,

3) Doing is finding.

By the way, an infinitive expresses an unrealized event, an event that hasn't happened yet, whereas the present participle (___ing) expresses a realized event, and event that has happened.

Ex: I want to find the store.
    Unrealized event: I haven't found the store yet. It hasn't happened yet.

EX:Finding the store was easy.
    Realized event: I found the store. It happened.

EX: Finding the store is easy.
    Realized event: I found the store and now I'm telling someone else how to find the store.

Does that help?

• Post Thanks / Like

So "All we have to do is find the boat that took him." is ok even is `to` is left aside?

• Post Thanks / Like

That's correct. That's using English. ;)