Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi there,
Can anyone give me come tips on improving English, even as a native speaker?

jack4321

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Bihari
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
It can be improve through regular practice of speaking in english

Opus018

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
For native speakers, you can practice your language skills by reading the newspaper or a magazine of the subject that most interests you. This helps you develop new vocabulary words and engages you to practice. Watching TV does help, but be careful what you watch because of course there are certain things that are not correctly said. My best suggestion for practicing you English during your commute home, school, or work, why not try with your IPOD? You can download discussions or debates through Podcast, This helps build your listening comprehension. Personally having a good listen comprehension is one of the bases of improving. What else, oh Why not practice with other native English speakers? This can help you see the diversity of the language and how it evolved from country to country. Hope it helps!!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Read widely.

dlotus205

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi there,
Can anyone give me come tips on improving English, even as a native speaker?

I think you can find oyt many tips by Google. But the most important is what you can do, not what you can find.

Best rgs.
----------------

Last edited by a moderator:

salihtel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
First of all I started to read book.I think it is best way to improve your vocablary.In addition of this way I can recommend listen to radio(BBC).I have been listening for one mounth, first time it was difficult but now more east than my first days

sarah GREEK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
That is true,practice makes perfect!
Language skills developer through usage. Reading a book will improve your reading skill, but won't be as helpful with your speaking and listening skills.
If you want to speak more eloquently you can do several things. Reading broadly will definitely expose you to new words, but learning new words is not enough. You must incorporate what you have learned into your daily speech. Watching tv is also a very useful way to enhance your language skills because as you watch you are hearing native speaker's speech patterns and the more you hear them the more likely you are to adopt them as your own. Best of luck..

Ed_smith

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bahrain
You can improve your english by communicating with others, by reading and by writing!

suikerbossie

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
Italy
Try reading out aloud. And even re-read the same paragraph a few times. It helps!

engr.yasir ali bhatti

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Sindhi
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Mexico
As my personal experience If you want to improve English you should follow following techniques:
read News paper
speak English with your friends
Teach English also

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]As[/STRIKE] From my personal experience, if you want to improve your English you should [STRIKE]follow[/STRIKE] try the following techniques:

Read [STRIKE]News paper [/STRIKE] newspapers
Speak English with your friends
Teach English [STRIKE]also[/STRIKE]

I agree with your first two suggestions absolutely. I would certainly not recommend attempting to teach English until you have a very good grasp of the language yourself!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think you can find oyt many tips by Google. But the most important is what you can do, not what you can find.

Best rgs.
----------------
It's my site: Teacher job guide. Visit it if you have time. I really hope that it's useful for you.

One of the features of the job description on this site (I've disabled the link in this quote) is 'Models spiritual maturity in leading students towards Christ and then spiritual growth'. Make of that what you will. Caveat emptor (and I'm not buying ;-)).

b

Chrystalline

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Read. Read a lot of books.

When I was going through school growing up, I was always ahead of our class Vocabulary Assignments because I was always learning my vocabulary through reading. While my classmates barely read the required sections of our reading textbook, my family went to the library every weekend for another set of books. Children were limited to ten books at a time, so my brother and I would each get ten and return them for another ten each weekend. (Now that I can buy books, I'm running out of shelf space.)

I prefer fiction (especially scifi and fantasy) because I like adventures and relationships, but you can build your vocabulary with either fiction or non-fiction. Either is probably more fun than reading the dictionary or encyclopedia (which my father did when he was young), but those would work as well. Dad complained about the first encyclopedia on CD, because you can't simply read it from beginning to end - you have to search specifically for what you want. If you don't know it's there, you'll never find it.

For pronunciation, yes, you'll want audio sources. TV, radio, or audiobooks will help, but if you need to become more comfortable speaking the language, there is no substitute for getting together with others and speaking.

Just a man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
you need to do like native speaker , watching TV and writing books and practice listning and reading during some website ..

lyfen

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Cambodia
Current Location
France
:) hi, i improve my english by practising it everyday like : chating with people online, reading and doing correspondence with people, so now i can talk and understand people who speak english with me .:-D

lyfen

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Cambodia
Current Location
France
Thank you , there 's one more way to improve english :-D

mrang

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Reading newspaper is one way. I used to be very bad with English since English is not my main language then.

The awareness of what 'subject-verb agreement' means is also a way to improve your English. In general, most ideas suggested so far are really about reading widely.

Singing songs can also increase your vocabulary if you need more word recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.