Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The User Reputation functionality is switched off as we've had problems in the past with people voting against other members out of spite etc. However, I'm not sure why the option still shows... :-o

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I think the "thanks button" was easier to see.
In my opinion many new members won't even notice there is a like-"button".

But okay, let's give it a try. :)

Cheers!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Any graphic you want. :)

Anyone can suggest another by providing a link to an example on the net and we'll consider it... however we have to draw a line somewhere as not everyone will agree with our final choice no matter how many people we ask and account for.

A smiley?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think the "thanks button" was easier to see.
In my opinion many new members won't even notice there is a like-"button".

But okay, let's give it a try. :)

Cheers!

Granted, but external plugins with forum software can cause problems or break, especially when there's an update and a feature upstream that is meant to subsume it.

People may not notice the link at first, but they will get used to it being there (I hope).

:up:

sylviaeasley

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think its nice.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
To me, I only give *like* if they really deserve it.( Like impressing me, Out of gratitude, agree with them)
I think *like* shouldn't be given casually. That's just my 2 cents.
Plus, I would be PUMPED if someone gave me a *like*. It's like a compliment from others. I like that kind of feeling. It MAKES me feels GOOD!

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Was it my imagination or did the thumbs up become a heart again for a short time today?

I certainly prefer the thumb.

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Indeed, the thumbs are back... :up:

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Sometimes (though, in very rare cases) threadstarters don't give any 'thank you' to people who answer him (Here and further I mean 'Ask teacher' forum). I mean both in their reply or through the likes. And I feel that is a little bit unfair to people who spend their time answering questions. At the other hand I heard of some people who don't like notifications like 'New likes have been received' and that.

Is there anybody who answer in 'Ask teacher' forum and don't want to receive any likes?

Thanks, Alex.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Some may not be aware of it or may only use it on special occasions.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sometimes (though, in very rare cases) threadstarters don't give any 'thank you' to people who answer him (Here and further I mean 'Ask teacher' forum). I mean both in their reply or through the likes. And I feel that is a little bit unfair to people who spend their time answering questions. At the other hand I heard of some people who don't like notifications like 'New likes have been received' and that.

Is there anybody who answer in 'Ask teacher' forum and don't want to receive any likes?

Thanks, Alex.
There is a difference between getting likes and being notified whenever you get a like. You're possibly confusing the two. Some people like likes (or thanks), but don't want to have to check their private messages every time they get one - that is, the system we used to have. (But I'm getting used to the new system).
I don't think you'll find many people who don't like likes.

Diagon

Banned
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
The old system with the Thanks button has now been replaced by a link with the word Like. It serves the same purpose, so you can use it to thank someone or show agreement, etc,

With the like-function, you qualify a post/posts publicly. If you like only one post, by default, you do not like the other(s), otherwise you would have liked that/those too. Practically, and in terms of social tact, the liking habit that the like-system - old or new, it does not matter - encourages at UE is equivalent in effect to, say, meeting two women at a social event and praising the physical appearance of only one of them. Do we really have to arouse mixed feelings in helpers by a system that clearly cuts both ways? I am not sure all contributors would be interested or pleased to learn that their posts were unhelpful or disagreeable. Besides, it is not very polite to elicit help and then decline it. Never look a gift horse....

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If you like only one post, by default, you do not like the other(s), otherwise you would have liked that/those too.
If you 'like' only one post in a thread, yes, it follows that you don't 'like' the others. But you don't necessarily dislike them. You might even like them without 'like'ing them - which can also occur with your social example.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree- saying that I like coffee does not mean that I dislike tea.

Unardin

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
I agree- saying that I like coffee does not mean that I dislike tea.

There is a reason why you pick out tee and why you do not pick out coffee. Possibilities include:

- You treat tee with partiality (favor), that is, you like tee more than coffee (favoritism is inherent in the system),
- Tee is what you like and coffee is what you do not.

No more possibilities comes to mind. How about you?

nukichan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Yeah,just like ,we can say a girl's clothes is very beatiful,and it's also make she feel happy.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you 'like' only one post in a thread, yes, it follows that you don't 'like' the others. But you don't necessarily dislike them. You might even like them without 'like'ing them - which can also occur with your social example.
I tend to 'like':

Answers that I would have given if I had got there first - I am showing my agreement.
Answers that tell me something I did not know - I am saying 'thank you'.
Correct answers from non-teachers who have said that they are not absolutely sure - I am saying, 'that is correct'
Witty answers
Answers that correct a slip I have made, or which add something useful that I have overlooked
etc - that's a cop-out for the likes I give that don't fall into those categories.

That's all very well, but as nobody knows my reasons, or didn't until now, perhaps it's not too sensible.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I do the same.

And I don't Like posts because I dislike others.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I often give likes when the answers make me laugh out loud.

lotan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Aaland
Hi there
i am new comer of this forum, the reason i participated this English forum to improve my writing skill, so how do you say thank you in a new way? i really love to learn some English proverb, :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.