Post Thanks / Like

Default Is there any difference in pronunciation between ..

asked the man and ask the man?

It's really hard for me to differentiate between their respective pronunciations. Sometimes I thought I heard 'ask de man' in the first case. More often, though, I cannot readily tell which is being said. I think native speakers must have a way of telling which is being pronounced, as the adding of 'ed' marks an important grammatical meaning. So, would anyone please help me with this? I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks.

A.Russell is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is there any difference in pronunciation between ..

Often you can tell by the contect in which they are used. In this case the correct meaning should be fairly easy to ascertain since the tense is different.

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to context, there's phonology and phonetics,

-ed is pronounced as [t] in asked the man: [aeskt] the man. It's pronounced as [t], a voiceless sound, because the sound the comes before, notably [k], is also voicesless. The last three consonants, [skt], all share voicelessness.

Now, if your first language doesn't have syllable-final voiceless stops (e.g., [t], [k]) or syllabels that end in three consonants (e.g., [skt], then that might be one reason you're having difficulty picking up [t] in [aeskt].

Now, if it's not your ears, but rather native speaker pronunciation that's the problem, there are a few additional pronunciations for asked:

(1) asked, [aeskd]
    => in this case a native speaker pronounces final -ed as [d], a voiced sound. What happens here is the speaker finds that having three consonants at the end is either too difficult to say or it's just too inefficient, so s/he makes the string easier by making the last sound in the -sked string voiced, thereby making the string easier to pronounce: /aeskt/ => [askd]

(2) asked, [aekst] (sounds like axed)
    => in this case, the native speaker makes the string easier to pronounce by switching /s/ and /k/ around: sk => ks

===
    asked the man => ask [d]e man

In this case, final [d] and initial 'th' produce ask[d]e man. What happens here is 'th' becomes [d], sharing place of articulation with final [d]. The reason, with consonant clusters, especially across word or syllable boundaries, it's easier to pronounce similar sounds than it is to pronounce different sounds, like [d] then stop and make a new sound 'th'.

Hope that helps out a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

It really helps. I find it easier now for me to tell with your explanation in mind. A million thanks, Casiopea! ^_^

Szymon is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea

Now, if it's not your ears, but rather native speaker pronunciation that's the problem, there are a few additional pronunciations for asked:

(1) ...
    (2) asked, [aekst] (sounds like axed)
    => in this case, the native speaker makes the string easier to pronounce by switching /s/ and /k/ around: sk => ks
    What do you mean by a different pronunciation for `asked` in case of `axed`?
    Do you mean that normal `asked` could be pronounced as `axed`?
    What would it mean then? And how could I guess that smn meant `asked` by sayin `axed`? Or maybe it`s me who misunderstood you, Casiopea?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Szymon
    What do you mean by a different pronunciation for `asked` in case of `axed`?
    Some native speakers pronounce asked as [aekst]. The reason being, the final consonant cluster [skt] of [aeskt] asked is difficult to say, so speakers metathesize, or switch the consonants around so they're easier to produce. In the case of asked => [aekst], speakers switch /sk/ to /ks/, giving [aekst], which sounds like 'axed'.
    Do you mean that normal `asked` could be pronounced as `axed`?
    Yes, that's correct. 'asked' is pronounced as [aekst] axed by some native speakers.
    And how could I guess that smn meant `asked` by sayin `axed`?
    Meaning is the key. Note, axed means to use an axe; e.g., I axed the tree. (I cut it down), whereas asked means to get information; e.g., I [aekst] the tree a question. Also, 'asked' and 'axed' are transitive verbs; 'axed' takes one object, but asked takes two objects:

axe something
    ask somebody something

asked
    I [aekst] the tree a question.

axed
    I [aekst] the tree. (I cut it down)

It's not always that clear, though. Dialect variations coupled with omitted words can result in ambiguity, even comic relief:

Pat: I [aekst] the [tri:] (what they were doing)?
    Max: Huhn?
    Pat: I said, I asked the three what they were doing.
    Max. Oh. I thought you said you asked the tree what it was doing.
    Sam: Haha. I thought Pat said, I axed the tree!

Szymon is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW This is amazing, really, thanks for explanation

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome, Szymon