Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does a's past tense(went) have the meaning of regret like "you should have gone long before", but is it just hassling the listener with the regret nuance?
If it actually has the regret, then you will say "You should have gone home", so I think it doesn't really have any regret, but just to push the listener to do something. Am I right?

a)It's time you went home. It's so late!
b)It's time you go home or It's time to go home

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does a's past tense(went) have the meaning of regret like "you should have gone long before", but is it just hassling the listener with the regret nuance?
If it actually has the regret, then you will say "You should have gone home", so I think it doesn't really have any regret, but just to push the listener to do something. Am I right?

a)It's time you went home. It's so late!:tick:
b)It's time you go home :?: or It's time to go home:tick:
Maybe in Am English, which is more enamoured of the subjunctive than Br Eng, the first b expression would more unequivocally acceptable. In Br Eng it sounds rather hoity-toity: 'Look at me, using the subjunctive - clever, eh?'

In 'It's time [^] to go home' you could add 'for you' where I've marked.

b

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Maybe in Am English, which is more enamoured of the subjunctive than Br Eng, the first b expression would more unequivocally acceptable. In Br Eng it sounds rather hoity-toity: 'Look at me, using the subjunctive - clever, eh?'

In 'It's time [^] to go home' you could add 'for you' where I've marked.

b

Thanks!
I read in some book that when we add about before time, it even becomes more serious, as in, 'It's about time we talked to him!', meaning it's very late. Is it used in daily speech at all?

Cheers!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks!
I read in some book that when we add about before time, it even becomes more serious, as in, 'It's about time we talked to him!', meaning it's very late. Is it used in daily speech at all?

Cheers!
Yes, either to mean "it's very late", or to mean that a situation has reached a serious level that makes talking to him necessary.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: 'It's about time you did <whatever>' implies that the speaker thinks it's past the time when you should have done it. A teacher might say 'You've had three months to do this coursework, and it's due by the end of the month. It's about time you got started.'

If it's long past the time, the speaker may say 'It's high time...'. 'We've been telling him not to do that for years. It's high time he got the message.'

b

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
:up: 'It's about time you did <whatever>' implies that the speaker thinks it's past the time when you should have done it. A teacher might say 'You've had three months to do this coursework, and it's due by the end of the month. It's about time you got started.'

If it's long past the time, the speaker may say 'It's high time...'. 'We've been telling him not to do that for years. It's high time he got the message.'

b

Then, what's the difference between "You should have gone home" and "It's time you went home"?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Then, what's the difference between "You should have gone home" and "It's time you went home"?
y in the morning
Emphasis.

"You should have gone home" can imply It's late and you're still here. You shouldn't be. Why are you still here?

"It's time you went home" can imply It's getting really late. Don't you think
it'd be a good idea to go home? You'll work more productively in the morning.

But those aren't the only possible implications.

b

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
y in the morning
Emphasis.

"You should have gone home" can imply It's late and you're still here. You shouldn't be. Why are you still here?

"It's time you went home" can imply It's getting really late. Don't you think it'd be a good idea to go home? You'll work more productively in the morning.

b

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
y in the morning
Emphasis.

"It's time you went home" can imply It's getting really late. Don't you think it'd be a good idea to go home? You'll work more productively in the morning.

b

I still don't get it, You seem to be saying "should have gone" is regret over obligatory thing, and "It's time that..." is hassling over an advisable but not an obligatory thing. Could you make it clear again?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I still don't get it, You seem to be saying "should have gone" is regret over obligatory thing, and "It's time that..." is hassling over an advisable but not an obligatory thing. Could you make it clear again?

Regret over an obligatory thing not done, as in my last post, is one possibility, but 'should have <ppl>' can also just express a supposition or estimate: 'Let's go and meet her after the exam. She should have finished by now.'

And 'It's time that' can be used just as you say. Perhaps other teachers can shed further light on this...:?: ;-)

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Perhaps other teachers can shed further light on this...b
I (think I) know what Bob is getting at, but I am not too confident about making it clear. I'll try.

"You should have gone home" = (very roughly!) there was a time in the past when your departure would have been appropriate and/or there was a time in the past when your departure had been ordered by somebody. You did not depart at that time, and I am now reminding you of it for a number of reasons, one of which may be that I wish you had departed and, therefore, I wish you were not here, so: go!

"It's time you went home" = (very roughly) For one of a number of reasons I think you should be heading for home, i.e. leaving here. It's not clear whether your departure is beneficial to you, me or somebody else, but it is certainly beneficial to somebody, so: please go.

Status
Not open for further replies.