• French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with cover letter

Dear all,

I would like some help from native English speakers to improve my cover letter.

I am interested in all suggestions and corrections: style, spelling, grammar etc.

Since I am unsure how this should be done, I will both attach a word document and copy paste the text.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Dear M. XXXXXXXX,

After 2.5 enriching and fruitful years at XXXX first as a trainee and then as an antitrust associate, I believe it is time for me to expand my professional horizons in a different working environment. I thus take the opportunity to express my interest in working as a competition associate at XXXXXXXXXX in Brussels. Please find attached to this cover letter my Curriculum Vitae. I believe that my relevant educational qualifications and work experience make me particularly suited to working for your firm.

My LL.M. in European Union Law has given me an excellent understanding of key European Union issues and an ability to anticipate and analyse them. In addition, it has given me a thorough knowledge of the European institutional system and lobbying methods within this system. I also had the opportunity to work as a research assistant on the subject of subsidies in international economic law (EU state aid policy and the WTO SCM agreement), which has given me the opportunity to deal with competition and international trade issues.

My work at XXXXXXXXXX, at XXXXXXXXXX and XXXXXXXXXX enabled me to build on my previously acquired knowledge, gain valuable practical experience, and understand the complex subtleties of both DG Competitionís procedures and policies and the EU Courtsí practice.

My academic and professional experiences are evidence of in-depth knowledge of EU law and especially competition law, and demonstrate that I have acquired the skills which are necessary to work efficiently within an international environment. Having worked intensively over a number of years for very demanding clients and partners with extremely high standards, I believe I have accumulated the required skills allowing me to contribute in an equally demanding team such as the one of XXXXXXXXXX. I have learned to work efficiently, meet tight deadlines and take initiatives when necessary. Also, I have had the opportunity to develop my written and oral advocacy skills, both internally, and with clients.

I believe that XXXXXXXXXX would be an ideal working place for me, since it is a well-respected law firm in competition law, representing a variety of important clients, and also has expertise in the telecoms and energy sectors which have always interested me, both from a personal and a professional point of view. Therefore, working for XXXXXXXXXX would meet my professional objectives, namely to build a solid legal carrier as a competition law expert in an international, dynamic and challenging environment.

I would relish the opportunity to work in a leading firm like XXXXXXXXXX, and I believe there is much I could both gain from, and contribute to within your organisation. Fluent in English, French and Greek, stress-resistant, desirous to constantly learn and improve and with excellent team playing, communication and social skills, I am convinced that I could easily fit in your firm.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and to review my Curriculum Vitae. I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully meeting you in person. Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXX