Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Australia
An iguana for you
Introduction
Iguana is one of the most popular and friendliest pet lizards. Iguanas are the only species of lizard that is herbivorous. The other species of lizard is usually an insectivorous, omnivorous, and carnivorous. An iguana if taken care properly will grow rather large. They will reach the length of 1.5 – 2.0 meters from head to tail. Iguanas are very friendly and will be good company if you are home alone.
Iguana’s diet
Do not feed your iguana with meat! Iguana is strictly herbivorous. They don’t eat insect or meat. If you feed them with one, they will have problem with digestion and eventually in severe cases, can cause liver failure. In nature, iguanas eat vegetables and fruit. They love vegetables and fruit, usually dandelion, pumpkin (chops into small pieces), carrot, apple, orange, leafy green veggies, grapes, strawberry, pears, green peas, and banana. This are just some example, you usually can feed them with any kind of veggies, as long as you give them variety. Before you feed your iguana make sure that all the veggies are wash and clean.
Housing your iguana
Iguanas are poikilothermic or cold-blooded animal. They cannot maintain or regulate stable body temperature, their body temperature change with the influence of external environment. They rely on sunlight to warm their body. This increases their body temperature, encourage digestion, and stimulate calcium metabolism. Sunlight is therefore very essential for the survival of the iguana. Your iguana’s habitat must have a source of warm sunlight. You can achieve this by building the iguana’s cage outdoor, where there is bright sunlight, or an indoor aquarium with artificial lighting. I prefer natural sunlight. The minimum cage size for one mature iguana is 2m*1m*2m. The cage should consist of a basking area, a dish of clean water, a food tray, a shaded area, and a sleeping area. In winter when the weather gets very cold, you can bring your iguana inside and let it sleeps on a small sofa or a small bed. Iguanas are polite. They will respect you and your home. I never put my iguanas in their cages, except while I am feeding them, they roam free around my house and each of them have a small sofa in my living room which is their sleeping places.
Conclusion
Iguanas are smart, if you love and take care of them properly. They are much aware of what is happening around them. Juvenile iguanas are naughty and love to run around. At this stage you must be patient. Try to feed them with your hand all the time so they have close contact with you. Iguanas love when someone pat their head, they will close their eyes when someone pat their head. You should pat your iguana head every day, they will become close to you and eventually they will love you. When they are really close to you, they will lick you and nod their head to you as a sign of greeting.

na358_gs

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Australia
pls this is for my class presentation
can any one help

Status