Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Would it be correct to say that electricity supply has been portioned to people in some areas of Tokyo?

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Would it be correct to say that electricity supply has been portioned to people in some areas of Tokyo?

NOT A TEACHER.

Not sure I understand the intended meaning.

"Electricity has been made available to people in some areas of Tokyo."

"People in some areas of Tokyo have been supplied with electricity."

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
NOT A TEACHER.

Not sure I understand the intended meaning.

"Electricity has been made available to people in some areas of Tokyo."

"People in some areas of Tokyo have been supplied with electricity."

There has been the disruption of electricity supply due to the crisis at the Fukushima nuclear facility. It's been on and off in some areas of Tokyo. Could I say that it's been portioned to people?

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
There has been the disruption of electricity supply due to the crisis at the Fukushima nuclear facility. It's been on and off in some areas of Tokyo. Could I say that it's been portioned to people?

It doesn't sound right to me, but I honestly don't know.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It doesn't sound right to me, but I honestly don't know.

Would you suggest a verb to describe it? I was watching the coverage form Japan when I started thinking what word would be appropriate to describe it?

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Would you suggest a verb to describe it? I was watching the coverage form Japan when I started thinking what word would be appropriate to describe it?

What's wrong with the examples in my first post?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What's wrong with the examples in my first post?

There's nothing wrong. I'm thinking if there's a more precise verb to describe when electricity is supplied to one area than it's off for some time and its supply is redirected to another area?

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The verb connected to 'portion' is 'apportion'. But this means to regulate how much of something you put here, how much you put there. It doesn't describe a supply that is simply intermittent, or random.

So when I do my business accounts at the end of the year, I have to apportion some business expenses if there has been any private use. For example, if I use the business car for some social driving, then I might apportion the expense of that car 80/20 percent business/private.

Another possible verb here is 'ration', but that also implies regulation of the supply. We ration a supply to people if we have very little of it, giving it out in small doses. This might suit your purpose here.

If you simply want to say that the electricity is going on and off all the time, try 'fluctuate' as a verb, or 'fluctuating', 'unreliable' or 'haphazard' as adjectives. Also there are two more in my first paragraph!

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's nothing wrong. I'm thinking if there's a more precise verb to describe when electricity is supplied to one area than it's off for some time and its supply is redirected to another area?

In that case, electricity is being rationed in some areas of Tokyo.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Rolling blackout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If done intentionally it is called a "rolling blackout." There is not enough electricity for everyone to have 24 hours/day service, so the utility lights up certain sectors at a time, with blackouts in others. This way everyone has some electricity part of the day.

The article states that Japan started doing this on March 14, due to a loss of capacity from the offline plants.

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Status
Not open for further replies.