[General] I haven´t a clue. - You will certainly have!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Hi,

There is an idiomatic phrase to express that you don´t have any idea, which goes: I haven´t a clue.

1) Would the corresponding question be: Have you a clue? (i.e. the use of to have as an auxiliary verb)

2) Is the synonymous phrase with to have as a main verb also idiomatic. I don´have... / Do you have..?

3) Is version No. 1) also used in the USA?

Greetings

Hucky

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

There is an idiomatic phrase to express that you don´t have any idea, which goes: I haven´t a clue.

1) Would the corresponding question be: Have you a clue? (i.e. the use of to have as an auxiliary verb)

2) Is the synonymous phrase with to have as a main verb also idiomatic. I don´have... / Do you have..?

Greetings

Hucky
Re 1), you can use it in the appropriate linguistic context. (Not just by itself):
"Do you know how much your mistake has cost us? I mean, do you have any clue at all?!"
If someone has done something stupid, you can just look at them, and shake your head and say, "You don't have a clue, do you?" But you can't simply say, "Do you have a clue?"

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Just to take it a little further, a hypothetical conversation but the variants are real:
"He wants to start a business but he wouldn't have a clue".
"Wouldn't have half a clue, that guy".
"Totally clueless!".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Last edited:

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Dear Gillnetter, Raymott, JMurray, and fivejedjon,

You have really provided me with a deeper insight into the usage of the phrase I had enquired about. Thanks for doing so!

All the best!

Hucky

P.S. Dear Gil, To make sure that I got you right, I must quickly take up your explanations.

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland

Re No. 1) I should have pointed out more explicitly that what I had in mind was not the isolate phrase "Have you a clue?", but one with a complement as e.g.: "Have you a clue what´s happening / going on?" Would that change the matter?

Greetings to the other side of the Pond

Hucky

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not only is 'haven't a clue' widely used in Br English, but often the noun is replaced by an adjective that describes the degree of cluelessness - come to think of it, the word 'clueless' indicates the strength of this idiom. Examples: 'I haven't the foggiest/faintest'

b

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Not only is 'haven't a clue' widely used in Br English, but often the noun is replaced by an adjective that describes the degree of cluelessness - come to think of it, the word 'clueless' indicates the strength of this idiom. Examples: 'I haven't the foggiest/faintest'

b

Dear BobK

That´s a good one! Thanks to you I cannot say anymore: 'I haven't the foggiest/faintest'. At least I`ve got a slight clue. Thanks a lot!

Hucky

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
Hi,

Greetings

Hucky

In the US we would make it an imperative (and bookend it with expletives usually). Keep in mind, this expression is no longer appropriate in the context of this tread. ;-)

*&£$! GET A CLUE, **$&!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.