Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Hello teachers,
I'm a bit confused about the best way to present a grammar lesson.
for example : teaching the prsent perfect
is it throuhg presenting examples containing the present perfect tense, then say this is the present perfect or that's how the present perfect is formed . "stating the rule".
if there is another method to do it, please tell me !
thanks in advance.

rwillmurphy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Peru
DZ,
I would use what I learned in my Spanish class in college: On a timeline draw the an axis the represent the present and the spaces before the past, after the future. Within the space of the past is a shaded area to represent the the unspecified time in the past.

shaded area|______future

I have been to Italy

teacherjoe

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
I don't believe there is a "best" way to teach anything, although rwillmurphy's idea is something my students have benefited from in the past. (It's a technique used in the Azar grammar books.)

My preference (not necessarily the best!) is to teach grammar in context. So, I would talk about the present perfect when it comes up in a text or in a listening activity. (If it doesn't come up in your textbook readings, you can try the song "Where have all the flowers gone?". It's a good anti-war song which leads to some good discussions.)

One thing I also like to do when teaching grammar is to compare various points. In my observations over many years of teaching, students often seem to master one grammar point in the classroom, but outside of the classroom they mix things up. If you can compare various points in the classroom and give them practice choosing the correct forms, they will be better prepared for the time when they actually need to use English in their lives.

lia83

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Greece
yes,I agree.teaching grammar in context is a very good way.showing the example and presenting the tense really helps the students.you can also make your own examples and then elicit from your students.

so happy I found u!can learn many things and improve!

Status
Not open for further replies.