Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I was curious if any of the native English speakers use some in this way:

That dinner you're cooking smells some good.
It was some cold this morning.

In these sentences some means very, but I'm not sure you could just replace very with some in all situations.

I've heard this from folks from Eastern Canada, Nova Scotia to be specific, and was curious to know if this occurs elsewhere.

I wasn't sure under which section to post this.
:)

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi SanMar

I wouldn't have used "some" but may have used "somewhat" meaning "quite" in that context.

Hope this helps
R21 (NES-UK)

PS Actually, on reflection, I might have actually said: "That was some party that was!".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Some + noun is very common in AmE at least.

I also have heard some + adjective, albeit infrequently. I consider it dialect and agree with SanMar that in Canada its use is largely confined to the eastern provinces.

Like SanMar, I'm interested in learning whether it is heard elsewhere.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi probus/SanMar

I also have heard some + adjective, albeit infrequently. I consider it dialect and agree with SanMar that in Canada its use is largely confined to the eastern provinces.

Like SanMar, I'm interested in learning whether it is heard elsewhere.

Following on from your above point, in UK English, "I only hope some good ["thing" being understood] comes from it" (i.e. some + adj) would also work for me.

Best regards
R21

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Following on from your above point, in UK English, "I only hope some good ["thing" being understood] comes from it" (i.e. some + adj) would also work for me.
An interesting example, Route21, but I think 'good' is a noun here, as in:

The evil that men do lives after them,
The good is oft interred with their bones,...

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Some, as used in my examples, would it be called an intensifier?
It really isn't commonly used in the rest of Canada, and I've never heard it used that way in British English from my pretty limited experience anyway.

also heard
That was some storm storm we had yesterday.
- similar to- That was some party.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
also heard
That was some storm we had yesterday.
- similar to- That was some party.

Yes. that works for me in UK English.
It would basically mean "That was an exceptional storm/party ...."

Best regards
R21

PS I agree with fivejedjon if "good" is treated as a noun in this case. The parentheses were included, at the last minute, as I was unsure how it would be interpreted. As a noun, it just adds to the "some" + noun options available in UK English.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The intensifier some is rare only in the some + adjective construction. Some + noun is common as dirt on both sides of the pond.

Winston Churchill: "England will have her neck wrung like a chicken. Some chicken! Some neck!"

That was some game last night!

That's some bruise you've got there.

Some kind of wonderful - song by Carol King, and a movie.

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi SanMar

I wouldn't have used "some" but may have used "somewhat" meaning "quite" in that context.

Hope this helps
R21 (NES-UK)

PS Actually, on reflection, I might have actually said: "That was some party that was!".

thanks R21!, but do you use somewhat as similar to quite...

here it means
It was somewhat cold last week. -i understand this as a bit cold,
It was quite cold yesterday. -more so than last week
It is some cold today. -it is f*.. freezing!
:)

I think maybe somewhat means something different here than in the UK, may actually be the manner, the intonation in which it is said.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi SanMar

My understanding of your "somewhat" sentences would be:

It was somewhat/rather cold last week. - this would mean more than just a bit cold - exceptionally cold (relatively, of course).
It was quite cold yesterday. - noticeably cooler than previously

It is some cold today. - I'd never use this version - it doesn't work for me.

The ambiguity with "somewhat/rather" is demonstrated in the "great or small" comment in the thesaurus section reference below and depends on the context:
rather - definition of rather by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

rather - to some (great or small) extent; "it was rather cold"; "the party was rather nice"; "the knife is rather dull"; "I rather regret that I cannot attend"; "He's rather good at playing the cello"; "he is kind of shy"kind of, kinda, sort of

Hope this helps
Best regards
R21

PS The reason for adding "relatively" is that, last week, the daytime temperature here dropped by 10C from a daily average, throughout the year, of 30-35C. The locals were "freezing" but for me, a Brit, it was just like a pleasant summer's day!;-)

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
thanks!

Interesting you know I hadn't paid attention to the difference before this thread, but somewhat has the opposite meaning here and as far as I know in the States as well, generally speaking.

The third sentence is really uncommon and fun to hear authentically spoken. Who knows it may just be unique to Eastern Canada.

Live and learn, eh? :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We're talking specifically about "some" modifying an adjective, right?

This feels familiar to me, perhaps after 15 years of living in Maine, which is really just a Canadian Maritime province that happens to be attached to the United States.

I don't think I use it that way, yet I wouldn't react to hearing it. Things like "Those roses you gave her made her some happy, I tell you!" sound natural enough.

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
We're talking specifically about "some" modifying an adjective, right?

This feels familiar to me, perhaps after 15 years of living in Maine, which is really just a Canadian Maritime province that happens to be attached to the United States.

I don't think I use it that way, yet I wouldn't react to hearing it. Things like "Those roses you gave her made her some happy, I tell you!" sound natural enough.

Yes, that's exactly how it's used.
Really? Didn't know that about Maine.
"I've heard the lobsters in Maine are some good!" :)

The use of somewhat got included in the conversation as an unexpected, but interesting surprise. :-D

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know how far west or south that usage creeps -- I don't know if New Hampshire or Massachusetts would find it normal, but it did make the leap from Yarmouth to Bar Harbor, anyway :)

And yes, those lobsters were some good, and at times, some cheap! I bet they taste pretty similar to Nova Scotia lobsters, though. I haven't had lobster since I moved away. If it's more than $5 a pound and wasn't in the ocean the day before, it's just not worth eating. Those little shacks on the side of the road -- they had the BEST lobster!

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't know how far west or south that usage creeps -- I don't know if New Hampshire or Massachusetts would find it normal, but it did make the leap from Yarmouth to Bar Harbor, anyway :)

And yes, those lobsters were some good, and at times, some cheap! I bet they taste pretty similar to Nova Scotia lobsters, though. I haven't had lobster since I moved away. If it's more than $5 a pound and wasn't in the ocean the day before, it's just not worth eating. Those little shacks on the side of the road -- they had the BEST lobster!

Interesting:)

I'm in land locked Ontario :( and whatever (if anything swims) in lake Ontario you don't want to touch it, let alone eat it:p
Your "more than $5 a pound and wasn't in the ocean" comment almost put a tear in my eye!

:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.