Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If both parties involved reached an agreement, first it's implemented and then it needs to be executed? Can I say that a company executes an agreement? Can I say that the authorities execute all provisions indicated in the draft or execute all fomalities before implementing the law?

Last edited:

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi ostap77

The confusion arises from the various meanings of the English word "execute" (even in Law!):

See: execute - definition of execute by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. - particularly items 7 and 8 below.

execute [ˈɛksɪˌkjuːt]vb (tr)
(Law) to put (a condemned person) to death; inflict capital punishment upon
2. to carry out; complete; perform; do to execute an order
3. to perform; accomplish; effect to execute a pirouette
4. to make or produce to execute a drawing
5. (Law) to carry into effect (a judicial sentence, the law, etc.); enforce
6. (Law) Law to comply with legal formalities in order to render (a deed, etc.) effective, as by signing, sealing, and delivering
7. (Law) to sign (a will) in the presence of witnesses and in accordance with other legal formalities
8. (Law) to carry out the terms of (a contract, will, etc.)

As you can see from the above, the signing of a will/contract and subsequently carrying out the terms of the will/contract are both covered by the term "execute".

To avoid confusion, I would rather break up the Agreement phases into:
The bidding/negotiation phase
Signature of the parties concerned confirming the Agreement
Subsequent Implementation of the Agreement.

Hope this helps
Best regards
R21

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hi ostap77

The confusion arises from the various meanings of the English word "execute" (even in Law!):

See: execute - definition of execute by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. - particularly items 7 and 8 below.

execute [ˈɛksɪˌkjuːt]vb (tr)
(Law) to put (a condemned person) to death; inflict capital punishment upon
2. to carry out; complete; perform; do to execute an order
3. to perform; accomplish; effect to execute a pirouette
4. to make or produce to execute a drawing
5. (Law) to carry into effect (a judicial sentence, the law, etc.); enforce
6. (Law) Law to comply with legal formalities in order to render (a deed, etc.) effective, as by signing, sealing, and delivering
7. (Law) to sign (a will) in the presence of witnesses and in accordance with other legal formalities

As you can see from the above, the signing of a will/contract and subsequently carrying out the terms of the will/contract are both covered by the term "execute".

To avoid confusion, I would rather break up the Agreement phases into:
The bidding/negotiation phase
Signature of the parties concerned confirming the Agreement
Subsequent Implementation of the Agreement.

Hope this helps
Best regards
R21

At the end of option eight is etc. Can I use it with an agreement? You implement it but the authorities have stick to it so it has an impact on citizens. Do they execute it? What verb would you use ?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
At the end of option eight is etc. Can I use it with an agreement? You implement it but the authorities have stick to it so it has an impact on citizens. Do they execute it? What verb would you use ?
I would "implement an agreement", I wouldn't "execute an agreement".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Execute an agreement" is legal jargon for sign, date and possibly seal and stamp a written memorandum of the agreement.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"Execute an agreement" is legal jargon for sign, date and possibly seal and stamp a written memorandum of the agreement.

So it would be to subsequently implementl an agreement?

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The agreement is the agreement -- it cannot be executed as bhaisahab said, only carried out or implemented.

Executing is just signing the paper. People sometimes do what they promised to do in writing, and sometimes not.

Last edited:

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The agreement is the agreement -- it cannot be executed as bhaisahib said, only carried out or implemented.

Executing is just signing the paper. People sometimes do what they promised to do in writing, and sometimes not.
Thanks a bunch!

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi ostap77

As per my earlier post:

As you can see from the above, the signing of a will/contract/agreement and subsequently implementing the terms of the will/contract/agreement are both covered by the term "execute". The actual meaning in each case is determined by the context.

A contract is just one form of an agreement - there are many others, such as a Memorandum of Understanding, Letter of Intent, Purchase Order etc.

Best regards
R21

PS There are some cynics around that say ambiguities in Contracts/Agreements are what keeps the legal profession in business!

Status
Not open for further replies.