Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Hi everybody,

Here is my reason (it´s just a pretext, well, I`d need it badly):

1) I´ve come to England to study English.

2) I`ve come to England for studying English.

Instead of the infinitive (of purpose) construction (1) , would the prepositional gerund (2) work here too?

Hucky

luschen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher, but only example number 1 is correct.

You could also say "I have come to England for the study of English" - is is grammatically correct, but it sounds a little off.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi everybody,

Here is my reason (it´s just a pretext, well, I`d need it badly):

1) I´ve come to England to study English.

2) I`ve come to England for studying English.

Instead of the infinitive (of purpose) construction (1) , would the prepositional gerund (2) work here too?

Hucky

Not for me.

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
not teacher

1) I´ve come to England to study the English language.

2) I`ve come to England for the purpose of studying the English language.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The best answer is the first one:

I´ve come to England to study English.

Rover

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Dear luschen, Tdol, JTRiff, and Rover KE,

I know it´s a bit on the late side to thank you, I´m sorry, I didn`t have the time to do so earlier. However, you helped me quite a lot! You cannot imagine how difficult it is for a non-native speaker to decide which construction is correct or preferable in a certain context. So why are there constructiones like these:
1) ... a sentence that you use for helping you to remember something.
2) a building with glass sides ... for growing plants.

In the two examples the infinitive would also work, e.g.:
1) ... to help you ...
2) ... to grow plants.

In my initial example the infinitive is alright, but the gerund is not. My instinct gave me an inkling that it does not sound good. But I remembered examples like the ones above and asked myself why it does work there. Could it be that the gerund construction in the example in question in preceded by a clause: "I have come to England..." But that can´t be the reason either as I found an example that goes: "She established a rule for understanding how it works." Whatever the reason is, best thanks again!

Hucky

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
So why are there constructiones like these:...
The pattern I see is this: the for-phrase modifies a noun in sentences 1), 2), and 3), but in 4) (your original sentence 2) it modifies a clause (I came):

1) a sentence used for the purpose of helping you to remember something.

• Reduced: a sentence used for helping
  • Infinitive: a sentence used to help

2) a building with glass sides used for the purpose of growing plants.

• Reduced: a building used for growing plants
  • Infinitive: a building used to grow plants

3) She established a rule used for the purpose of understanding how it works.

• Reduced: a rule used for understanding
  • Infintive: a rule used to understand
--------------------

In 4), the for-phrase modifies a clause, I came:

4) I came for the purpose of studying.

• Reduced: I came for studying :cross:
  • Infinitive: I came (in order) to study :tick:

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Dear Soup,

That´s the answer to the question! That´s also what I assumed to be the case, what I derived from the constructions given. It simply puzzled me that in the structure: established a rule for understanding we also have a preceding clause. The crucial criterion seems to be, however, that it ends in a noun. Now I´ve got it. Thanks a lot!

Hucky

Karima-19

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Dear Soup,

That´s the answer to the question! That´s also what I assumed to be the case, what I derived from the constructions given. It simply puzzled me that in the structure: established a rule for understanding we also have a preceding clause. The crucial criterion seems to be, however, that it ends in a noun. Now I´ve got it. Thanks a lot!

Hucky
Hello Hucky! I do really appreciate your situation as a non-native speaker. Me too, I'm a non native speaker and it happens for me so many times. But once, someone advise me to use a simple, correct and comprehensible English in order to avoid gramatical mistakes. So, you gave us two sentences, and all of us agree that the first one which is correct. So, use the one you find easy and correct, I promise your English gonna be good and the most important thing is to have a pure English.

Good luck

Karima

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I promise your English gonna be good and the most important thing is to have a pure English.

Anybody recommending pure English is well-advised to avoid the slang term gonna.

Rover

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Hello Hucky! I do really appreciate your situation as a non-native speaker. Me too, I'm a non native speaker and it happens for me so many times. But once, someone advise me to use a simple, correct and comprehensible English in order to avoid gramatical mistakes. So, you gave us two sentences, and all of us agree that the first one which is correct. So, use the one you find easy and correct, I promise your English gonna be good and the most important thing is to have a pure English.

Good luck

Karima

Dear Karima,

Thanks a lot for the kind lines you dropped. Even between the lines I can feel the joy you have in learning English. Thank you also for your promise! I really do hope it will come to fruition one day. And I for my part appreciate your enthusiasm. It was nice to hear from you. So I send you my best greetings over there to Algeria and remain for the time being with the best wishes for a good night!

Hucky

Karima-19

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Anybody recommending pure English is well-advised to avoid the slang term gonna.

Rover

I'm sorry Rover! you are right about using the slang term "gonna". I forget that I'm writing in a language learning forum where we should use standard English not colloquial one, I'm sorry again.

Karima-19

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Dear Karima,

Thanks a lot for the kind lines you dropped. Even between the lines I can feel the joy you have in learning English. Thank you also for your promise! I really do hope it will come to fruition one day. And I for my part appreciate your enthusiasm. It was nice to hear from you. So I send you my best greetings over there to Algeria and remain for the time being with the best wishes for a good night!

Hucky

Thanks again Hucky, hope you all the best too.

Good luck

Regards

Karima

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm sorry Rover! you are right about using the slang term "gonna". I forget that I'm writing in a language learning forum where we should use standard English not colloquial one, I'm sorry again.

Native speakers do the same thing occasionally. (Well at least I do!;-) )
Learning a language can be really challenging but well worth it, as I'm sure you already know.
Good luck:)

Not a teacher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.