Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Loser" has been one of the most popular slang terms in contemporary AmE for twenty years or so. As far as I've ever been able to tell, it simply means an uncool person.

Here is a top definition from urbandictionary.com, evidently written by a contented loser.

"A person who has fallen off the social ladder, climbed down the social ladder, jumped off the social ladder, or just never bothered to climb the social ladder in the first place. Upon arrival on the ground, losers begin to befriend fellow groundlings and realize how much fun a person can have when gravity isn’t an issue. It is perfectly acceptable to insult losers, because they have nowhere to fall to and it won’t hurt much."

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Here is the top definition from urbandictionary.com, evidently written by a contented loser.

"A person who has fallen off the social ladder, climbed down the social ladder, jumped off the social ladder, or just never bothered to climb the social ladder in the first place. Upon arrival on the ground, losers begin to befriend fellow groundlings and realize how much fun a person can have when gravity isn’t an issue. It is perfectly acceptable to insult losers, because they have nowhere to fall to and it won’t hurt much."
:-D

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Lots of thanks to all dear posters! :)

Best wishes...

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
There are numerous terms for this, given that it applies to so many people! ;-)
It really depends on how offensive and nasty you want to be. The number of possible terms depends only on your imagination. "Useless as teats on a bull" is an imaginitive term sometimes heard in AmE.

"Clueless moron", "pointless retard", "pea-brain", "insignificant loser" - these are all pretty much guaranteed to be offensive.
"Retard" is guaranteed to be offensive, not only to the recipient of the insult, but to many others within earshot. So, Mehrgan, it is not advisable to use this word.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
How about jellyfish? Is it a slang term?

Thanks.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The Urban Dictionary says it refers to a man who gets emotionally and mentally dominated by a girl. Is its usage limited to this context?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I have cited urbandictionary.com several times in this forum. That was probably unwise.

Caution:
it is an extremely unreliable source especially for people learning ESL.

If you are fluent in English and have a pretty strong suspicion about what a slang expression means urbandictionary might help you decide whether your suspicion was correct, and it might provide some nuances of understanding. In other circumstances students are better off not consulting it. Even as a native speaker I am very often unsure whether to believe urbandictionary.

Sorry, I have no idea about jellyfish. I've never heard it used.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Thanks.

I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of today's youth, but I highly doubt this usage.

BTW
Right now kids on the net like using jelly to mean jealous.
Ex. You're going to a Lady Gaga concert?! I'm so jelly!!*

*words spelled correctly in the interest of clarity

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi all,
May I have some informal or slang terms for such a person? (especially in BrE, please)

Many thanks in advance.

I've always found the word putz* to be hysterical. In English it means "idiot", but don't say it to someone who speaks Yiddish; it's quite a bit more vulgar.

*putzing (around) means to putter about, wasting time

Last edited:

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Thanks.

Spineless jellyfish.... means that you don't stand up for yourself or others, coward, no backbone, stand for nothing

Not sure how popular this is though. You also hear .. "Stop being so spineless!" but I've never heard "Stop being a jellyfish!"

:)

Not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.