Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, there.

I know people can say He is a pig. But can people say He is pig, to express that he is deemed as equal to this kind of animal?

Many thanks

Richard

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would always use the indefinite article. He is pig does not mean He is equal to a pig to me; you could try something like He's on the level of a pig, but it seems unnecessary to me.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
To say "he's piggish" means he's crude, ill mannered, greedy etc. And so is synonymous with "he's a pig".

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, there.

I know people can say He is a pig. But can people say He is pig, to express that he is deemed as equal to this kind of animal?

Many thanks

Richard

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) If you are talking directly to him, you could yell:

You pig!!!

(2) Of course, it would not be a good idea to say that to

anyone -- unless he is a really close friend and he knows that

you are just kidding. (Of course, you would never say that

to a young lady!!!)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In some areas of the UK there's Pig off!, with a meaning like Get lost.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello, there.

Many thanks

Richard

You can say, "He is a pig", but you might not be understood. There is no absolutely clear meaning of what a pig-type person is in English.

If a woman says it about a man, she generally means he's rude and ungentlemanly.
In some cases, it means that a person is messy and untidy, and says nothing about they treat other people.
A "pig" can be someone who eats to much, or is fat.
Police are sometimes called "pigs".

What does "pig" mean to you when used for a person?

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Hello, there.

Many thanks

Richard
My Chinese-speaking colleagues use the noun pig in that context to mean born in the year of the pig (e.g., I'm Pig). English speakers use the zero article in that context too, for example, I'm Leo (meaning, my zodiac sign is Leo). So I see no reason why I'm Pig should be deemed ungrammatical. However, native speakers will find it odd because pig is not an expected zero-article noun.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My Chinese-speaking colleagues use the noun pig in that context to mean born in the year of the pig (e.g., I'm Pig). English speakers use the zero article in that context too, for example, I'm Leo (meaning, my zodiac sign is Leo). So I see no reason why I'm Pig should be deemed ungrammatical. However, native speakers will find it odd because pig is not an expected zero-article noun.
So, most of us native speakers having no knowledge of Chinese, 'I'm Pig' is unacceptable in standard English except in the very limited context of our discussing our birth year, Chinese-style.

Fjj (I'm dog).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But I wouldn't say "I'm Gemini." I'd say "I'm a Gemini." I don't see this as a good parallel at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.