Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi,
Are there any verbs that are never used in the continuous aspect? I've tried looking this up but found the words "usually not used" and am looking for a "never used".
Actually if anyone can direct me to where I could find "always and never" rules (I know there aren't many) about the English language I'd really appreciate it!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,
Are there any verbs that are never used in the continuous aspect? I've tried looking this up but found the words "usually not used" and am looking for a "never used".
Actually if anyone can direct me to where I could find "always and never" rules (I know there aren't many) about the English language I'd really appreciate it!

There are no verbs that are never used in the progressive aspect.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There are no verbs that are never used in the progressive aspect.
Now that is a fine example of the correct and appropriate use of two negatives in one sentence; and nobody would disagree with the message.

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It seems answers just lead to more questions:-?... in case anyone wishes to indulge me....

I am reading Swan, and he states (unless I've misunderstood ) that when expressing an opinion stative verbs in the progressive aspect shouldn't be used, so my question is, when else is it not acceptable ?

and are the following correct?
I think grammar is fun!
-to me this is fine

I am thinking grammar is fun!
:?: - not standard English but i am no longer sure:-?

I am thinking that grammar is going to be a lot of fun!
- this is fine as well

Please and thank you:)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Uttered by someone who has just begun to entertain this thought, it's fine.

Also fine.

The 'rules' and advice you find in grammar books, so long as they are not presented as absolute laws, are are often good general advice to a beginner. I long ago learnt not to use 'never' and 'always' when talking about English.

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Uttered by someone who has just begun to entertain this thought, it's fine.

Also fine.

The 'rules' and advice you find in grammar books, so long as they are not presented as absolute laws, are are often good general advice to a beginner. I long ago learnt not to use 'never' and 'always' when talking about English.

Yeah I'm starting to think that as well about never and always, also thinking I'm going to need a good sense of humour when reading grammar books!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yeah I'm starting to think that as well about never and always, also thinking I'm going to need a good sense of humour when reading grammar books!
Especially those designed for elementary and intermediate students. Even those designed for more advanced students can give only a general picture.

A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language (1985) has 1,639 pages, The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language (2002) 1,764, A Modern English Grammar (1909-1949) about 3,500. Declerck's Grammar of the English Verb Phrase (2006) has 757 pages; that deals only with verbs - and there are three more volumes to come!

And we have to remember that all these pages of writing are merely attempts to describe how people use the language, based on observation of a number of utterances that is probably smaller than the number now produced every day. With an artficial language such as Esperanto, it is possible to lay down absolute rules - though if an artificial language were ever to be widely used, it would soon develop a life of its own.

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Especially those designed for elementary and intermediate students. Even those designed for more advanced students can give only a general picture.

A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language (1985) has 1,639 pages, The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language (2002) 1,764, A Modern English Grammar (1909-1949) about 3,500. Declerck's Grammar of the English Verb Phrase (2006) has 757 pages; that deals only with verbs - and there are three more volumes to come!

And we have to remember that all these pages of writing are merely attempts to describe how people use the language, based on observation of a number of utterances that is probably smaller than the number now produced every day. With an artficial language such as Esperanto, it is possible to lay down absolute rules - though if an artificial language were ever to be widely used, it would soon develop a life of its own.

:shock: :shock:I knew it was big but....... holy crap!
I think there should be a disclaimer somewhere for TESL students.

Thanks for the references.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.