Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have a silver bracelet with my name on, some record tokens, a compendium of games,.......

:?: What're these? Please.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
some record tokens, a compendium of games,

puzzle.
A record token, in my experience, is an order on paper or card that you would buy from a record or music shop, and give as a gift to somebody. They could then take the token to a shop and exchange it for the same value in records. It means that you can give someone a record as a gift, but they can chose the record.
A compendium of games is usually a collection of various popular games (draughts, chess, ludo, snakes and ladders, dominoes etc) in a single box.

not a teacher

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: This was true until the mid-late '90s, when businesses started introducing gift cards to replace gift tokens. Even Book Tokens (a scheme that's been around for many many years) are now bits of plastic with a magnetic strip (or maybe a computer readable chip); the Book Token is no longer just a bit of paper to trade in in return for books. The owner can keep using it and recharging it.

But it's not just books. All the main chains sell such bits of plastic (and not just in the named store). I could go to a tobacconist and buy gift cards in many different values for several different chains.

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: This was true until the mid-late '90s, when businesses started introducing gift cards to replace gift tokens. Even Book Tokens (a scheme that's been around for many many years) are now bits of plastic with a magnetic strip (or maybe a computer readable chip); the Book Token is no longer just a bit of paper to trade in in return for books. The owner can keep using it and recharging it.

But it's not just books. All the main chains sell such bits of plastic (and not just in the named store). I could go to a tobacconist and buy gift cards in many different values for several different chains.

b

puzzle

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I see. Thank you.

Status