Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"If I were paying for goods to the cashier in a small store and wanted to ask if he would accept a 50-dollar bill and give me change, would it be OK to ask "Do you change a 50-dollar bill?"

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi ostap77

If it were me, I'd just give him the $50 bill and he would soon tell me if he couldn't change it himself. He might then ask me if I had anything smaller or offer to change it, himself, via a nearby shop/bank (as he wants to achieve a sale). But then, that's just me!

With regards to the "English" part of your query, I would have probably asked: "Can you change a 50-dollar bill?" (i.e. "Are you able to change ....").

Hope this helps.
Best regards
R21

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hi ostap77

If it were me, I'd just give him the $50 bill and he would soon tell me if he couldn't change it himself. He might then ask me if I had anything smaller or offer to change it, himself, via a nearby shop/bank (as he wants to achieve a sale). But then, that's just me!

With regards to the "English" part of your query, I would have probably asked: "Can you change a 50-dollar bill?" (i.e. "Are you able to change ....").

Hope this helps.
Best regards
R21

I remember one time I wanted to pay for goods in a supermarket in Palermo, Sicily. It was 11 o'clock in the morning. I took a 50-Euro bill out of my wallet and was going to give it to the cashier when I heard that he didn't have change and I was supposed either to pay in smaller bills or come by later.:-D

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, by law any business that cannot provide change for large denomination currency bills must post a sign stating their policy (for example, "No Bills over $20 Accepted.") If no such sign is posted, then there should be no need to ask if they can change a $50; you should be able to pay for a $1.99 purchase with a fifty dollar bill and expect change. That's the law. The reality is different - if it's a small shop, the cashier might not have that much cash in the drawer at any given time. So it is very common to ask the cashier when purchasing a small amount of merchandise with a large bill - "Can you change a fifty?" or "All I have is a fifty, do you have change?" :-D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.