Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    ddablo is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    hi~~ Is this a correct sentence??

    The sentence is 'I insisted he meet her.'.

    Why meet??? I think 'met' is right instead of 'meet'

    'Meet' doesn't even have 's'.... Is that correct?

    Please let me know~~

  2. #2
    satya_sson33's Avatar
    satya_sson33 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: hi~~ Is this a correct sentence??

    Quote Originally Posted by ddablo View Post
    The sentence is 'I insisted he meet her.'.

    Why meet??? I think 'met' is right instead of 'meet'

    'Meet' doesn't even have 's'.... Is that correct?

    Please let me know~~
    ***************NOT a teacher***********

    I think. it is better.

    I insisted him to meet her.

  3. #3
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: hi~~ Is this a correct sentence??

    "I insisted (that) he meet her is correct".

    The form meet, without -s is a subjunctive form of the verb. This is commonly used in AmE; in BrE we tend to say "I insisted that he should meet her" or even "I insisted that he met her".

    In neither dialect is I insisted him to meet her correct.

  4. #4
    ddablo is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: hi~~ Is this a correct sentence??

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    I met John yesterday. I will meet his aunt tomorrow. I am meeting the family now.

    Met is the past tense of meet.

    What do you mean about the 's'?

    Thanks for answering ~~

    What I'd like to know about this sentence was why 'I insisted he meet her.' is gramatically correct.

    In case the subject is he or she, we don't use meet.

    We use meets, met,...

    That's what I meant about 's'.
    Last edited by ddablo; 29-Mar-2011 at 05:53.

  5. #5
    ddablo is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: hi~~ Is this a correct sentence??

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    "I insisted (that) he meet her is correct".

    The form meet, without -s is a subjunctive form of the verb. This is commonly used in AmE; in BrE we tend to say "I insisted that he should meet her" or even "I insisted that he met her".

    In neither dialect is I insisted him to meet her correct.

    Thank you for answering my question.

    Here's another one.^^

    ① I insisted that he should leave with us.
    ② I insisted that he leave with us.
    ③ I insisted on his leaving with us.

    Is there any differences of meaning between three sentences ?

    If not, which one do you commonly use when you talk or write??

    Have a good day!!!

  6. #6
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: hi~~ Is this a correct sentence??

    Quote Originally Posted by ddablo View Post
    ① I insisted that he should leave with us.
    ② I insisted that he leave with us.
    ③ I insisted on his leaving with us.

    Is there any differences of meaning between the three sentences ? Not really.
    If not, which one do you commonly use when you talk or write? I might use any of them.
    5

  7. #7
    TheParser is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: hi~~ Is this a correct sentence??

    Quote Originally Posted by ddablo View Post
    The sentence is 'I insisted he meet her.'.

    Why meet??? I think 'met' is right instead of 'meet'

    'Meet' doesn't even have 's'.... Is that correct?

    Please let me know~~

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****


    (1) I believe that both "meet" and "met" are possible --

    depending on what you wish to say.

    (2) "I insisted that Tom meet Mona." = It was only your

    strong recommendation. Maybe Tom followed your recommendation

    or maybe he did not. Let's say that he did not meet Mona, who

    owns a big business. Let's say that Tom's company lost a big

    contract (because he did not meet with Mona). You could say:

    Don't blame me. I insisted that Tom meet Mona, but he ignored

    my advice.

    (a) Here are some other examples of the subjunctive that I have

    made up:

    I demand that Tom be here tomorrow. (Maybe he will obey my demand or maybe he won't. We won't know until tomorrow.)

    It is necessary that Martha study for five more years if she wants that job. (We will have wait five years to see if she actually studied for five more years.)

    We use the subjunctive when we are talking about something that is only in the speaker's mind. When I demand, insist, order, etc., maybe the other person will do what I demand, insist, or order, or maybe the other person will ignore what I demand, insist, or order.

    We use the "s" (indicative") about something real (not only in the
    speaker's mind:

    I know that Tom is in his office every day at 7 a.m. (That's a fact)

    Everyone says that Martha studies very hard. (That's a fact)

    (3) "I insisted that Tom met Mona." This is going to be difficult to

    explain:

    (a) Let's say that Tom did absolutely meet Mona yesterday to discuss

    business matters between their two companies.

    (b) Let's say that Mr. X does not believe that Tom and Mona met/had

    met yesterday.

    (c) Let's say that you go to Mr. X's office and tell him that Tom and Mona

    did meet/ met/ had met yesterday.

    (d) Let's say that Mr. X listens to you and then agrees that, yes, Tom and

    Mona did meet/ met/ had met yesterday.

    (e) And let's say that when you leave Mr. X's office, someone asks you:

    "Hey! What did you tell Mr. X?" And you answer:

    "Well, I just kept insisting that Tom did meet/met/ had met Mona. I even

    showed Mr. X some photographs of them in the restaurant. Mr. X finally

    agreed with me."

    The bottom line:

    I insisted that Pamela sing. = It was only my strong recommendation.
    We do not know whether she sang or not.

    I insisted that Pamela sing. She agreed with me and sang for one hour.

    I insisted that Pamela sing. She ignored my request, so we never had an opportunity to hear her voice.

    I insisted that Pamela sang. = I KNOW that she sang/had sung last night. So when some people refused to believe this fact, I refused to keep quiet. I insisted that she did sing/ sang/ had sung. Finally those people said, "OK. OK. We believe you!!!"

  8. #8
    ddablo is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: hi~~ Is this a correct sentence??

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    5
    Thank you so much!!

    You totally solved my questions I wanted to know about.^^
    Last edited by ddablo; 30-Mar-2011 at 03:15.

  9. #9
    ddablo is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: hi~~ Is this a correct sentence??

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****


    (1) I believe that both "meet" and "met" are possible --

    depending on what you wish to say.

    (2) "I insisted that Tom meet Mona." = It was only your

    strong recommendation. Maybe Tom followed your recommendation

    or maybe he did not. Let's say that he did not meet Mona, who

    owns a big business. Let's say that Tom's company lost a big

    contract (because he did not meet with Mona). You could say:

    Don't blame me. I insisted that Tom meet Mona, but he ignored

    my advice.

    (a) Here are some other examples of the subjunctive that I have

    made up:

    I demand that Tom be here tomorrow. (Maybe he will obey my demand or maybe he won't. We won't know until tomorrow.)

    It is necessary that Martha study for five more years if she wants that job. (We will have wait five years to see if she actually studied for five more years.)

    We use the subjunctive when we are talking about something that is only in the speaker's mind. When I demand, insist, order, etc., maybe the other person will do what I demand, insist, or order, or maybe the other person will ignore what I demand, insist, or order.

    We use the "s" (indicative") about something real (not only in the
    speaker's mind:

    I know that Tom is in his office every day at 7 a.m. (That's a fact)

    Everyone says that Martha studies very hard. (That's a fact)

    (3) "I insisted that Tom met Mona." This is going to be difficult to

    explain:

    (a) Let's say that Tom did absolutely meet Mona yesterday to discuss

    business matters between their two companies.

    (b) Let's say that Mr. X does not believe that Tom and Mona met/had

    met yesterday.

    (c) Let's say that you go to Mr. X's office and tell him that Tom and Mona

    did meet/ met/ had met yesterday.

    (d) Let's say that Mr. X listens to you and then agrees that, yes, Tom and

    Mona did meet/ met/ had met yesterday.

    (e) And let's say that when you leave Mr. X's office, someone asks you:

    "Hey! What did you tell Mr. X?" And you answer:

    "Well, I just kept insisting that Tom did meet/met/ had met Mona. I even

    showed Mr. X some photographs of them in the restaurant. Mr. X finally

    agreed with me."

    The bottom line:

    I insisted that Pamela sing. = It was only my strong recommendation.
    We do not know whether she sang or not.

    I insisted that Pamela sing. She agreed with me and sang for one hour.

    I insisted that Pamela sing. She ignored my request, so we never had an opportunity to hear her voice.

    I insisted that Pamela sang. = I KNOW that she sang/had sung last night. So when some people refused to believe this fact, I refused to keep quiet. I insisted that she did sing/ sang/ had sung. Finally those people said, "OK. OK. We believe you!!!"

    WOW!!! Lots of examples!!


    Everything is crystal clear!!!


    I would like to thank you for the time you spent with my question^^

Similar Threads

  1. are these sentence correct
    By scott833 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Oct-2009, 09:05
  2. are these sentence correct
    By scott833 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Oct-2009, 13:06
  3. [Essay] is this sentence correct?
    By Zoe2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2008, 12:24
  4. Is this sentence correct?
    By Valentin1985 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Dec-2006, 14:12
  5. Is this sentence correct?
    By rajan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Jan-2006, 00:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •