Thread: as = which?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking as = which?

And romance novels are a big part of the global publishing industry, as was easy to see at the 25th annual Romance Writers of America conference last month.

It seems this use of the word 'as' is quite extensive and yet whatever dictionary I use - M-W, Macmillan, Cobuild, Cambridge, Oxford - I cannot find a item for this particular use. Is 'as' here able to be replaced by 'which' without changing the original meaning? Any reply would be appreciated.

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: as = which?

The 4th definition of the conjunction in my Webster's Collegiate (10th ed.), Peter:

in accordance with what or the way in which-- yes, essentially, 'which'.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Micawber. But please pardon my stupidity. I saw the item you speak of, but its example is like this: quite good as boys go. And I tried to make a sentence like this: It is quite good in accordance with what boys go, which makes perfect sense to me. But when I apply this definition to that sentence I spoke of, I get this one:

And romance novels are a big part of the global publishing industry, in accordance with what was easy to see at the 25th annual Romance Writers of America conference last month.

And this sentence makes sense to me as well. But I just want to make sure if this was what you meant. I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks!

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but keep in mind that inserting the dictionary definition into a sentence does not necessarily make it an acceptably natural sentence. For instance, you'd have to perhaps change boys go to boys do in your first case, or make other accommodation. It works better in the romance novel sentence, actually.

And tell me, is Doraemon popular in China too? I thought he was exclusively a Japanese phenomenon.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Micawber. As for Doraemon, I'd say he's the single most famous cartoon character of all time in China, and he's especially popular with those born in the 80s when there were no obnoxious Chinese nationalists. Japanese cartoons, animes, games, and animated movies have always fascinated young people in China. Indeed, 70% percent of the nouns Chinese use to denote concept were borrowed directly from Japanese in the early 20th century, so there's been enormous Japanese influence on the way Chinese think and speak. And there's virtually no barrier for a Japanese cultural product like Doraemon to become an phenomenon in China as well. :)