Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    cynthia550 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default assume the presidency?

    1. Do Americans use the expression "How long has he assumed the presidency?"?
    If that's not the case, how can you revise this sentence?

    2. When some producers had watched a TV show made by someone else and made another show in a similar format, how can we describe the situation? Should I say "A show was made after B show"?

    3. What do you say when a person didn't keep a promise? "He broke the promise"? Is there any more frequently used expression?

    4. What do you say about the person who was kicked out of the survival show because he got the least votes? "He was out of the show"?

    5. What can I say when a producer was replaced with another because he didn't do well on his job? Can I say "He got fired from/on the show"?

  2. #2
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,283
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: assume the presidency?

    Hi Cynthia,
    Please post one question per post. Otherwise, the answers get confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by cynthia550 View Post
    1. Do Americans use the expression "How long has he assumed the presidency?"?
    If that's not the case, how can you revise this sentence?
    Not normally. If something happened to the president and someone else had to take over the office, you could use this, but throughout most of our history, they are elected. How long has he been president? When did he take office (as president)?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  3. #3
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,077
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: assume the presidency?

    Gerald Ford assumed the presidency, didn't he?

  4. #4
    probus's Avatar
    probus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,054
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: assume the presidency?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Gerald Ford assumed the presidency, didn't he?
    Yes, as did Lyndon Johnson and Harry Truman.

    But isn't the real UsingEnglish answer that "How long has he assumed the presidency?" is unidiomatic?

    One can ask "How long has it been since he assumed the presidency?" or simply "How long has he been President?

  5. #5
    freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: assume the presidency?

    Quote Originally Posted by cynthia550 View Post

    2. When some producers had watched a TV show made by someone else and made another show in a similar format, how can we describe the situation? Should I say "A show was made after B show"?

    "Show A" is a remake of "Show B"

    3. What do you say when a person didn't keep a promise? "He broke the promise"? Is there any more frequently used expression?

    "He broke the/his promise" is correct

    4. What do you say about the person who was kicked out of the survival show because he got the least votes? "He was out of the show"?

    He was voted off (the show).

    5. What can I say when a producer was replaced with another because he didn't do well on his job? Can I say "He got fired from/on the show"?

    He got fired from the show.

    but you might want to say something like "John Smith was replaced with Jane Doe (as producer of the show)"
    and/or add some explanation as to why.


  6. #6
    cynthia550 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: assume the presidency?

    Thanks, guys!!
    I was confused of the expression "assume the presidency" because it means that the person becomes the president either by election or in any other way when it is translated into Korean.
    Anyway thanks again^^

  7. #7
    freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: assume the presidency?

    Quote Originally Posted by cynthia550 View Post
    Thanks, guys!!
    I was confused of the expression "assume the presidency" because it means that the person becomes the president either by election or in any other way when it is translated into Korean.
    Anyway thanks again^^
    One of the meanings of "to assume" is:

    2
    formal
    to officially start a new job or position

    He formally assumes the presidency next week.
    She has been invited to assume the role of mentor.

    assume - definition. American English definition of assume by Macmillan Dictionary


    which to me clearly includes Presidents that have been freely elected through normal democratic procedure and refers not to the actual election but to the formal ceremony (inauguration).


    However, as pointed above, "How long has he assumed the presidency?" is not something you'd say. You can ask "When did he assume the presidency?" (if you want to know about the inauguration date) or "How long has he been the President?"
    Last edited by freezeframe; 29-Mar-2011 at 12:24.

  8. #8
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,669
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: assume the presidency?

    which to me clearly includes Presidents that have been freely elected through normal democratic procedure and refers not to the actual election but to the formal ceremony (inauguration).
    You might be able to make an argument from the dictionary, but in real life, Americans do not talk about "assuming" the Presidency. (In normal circumstances of the consequence of elections.)

  9. #9
    freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: assume the presidency?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    You might be able to make an argument from the dictionary, but in real life, Americans do not talk about "assuming" the Presidency. (In normal circumstances of the consequence of elections.)
    No, it's not a word you would hear on the street but you will find it in written sources. It is formal, as the dictionary entry indicates. The OP, however, posted,

    "I was confused of the expression "assume the presidency" because it means that the person becomes the president either by election or in any other way when it is translated into Korean."

    My reply was addressing that.

Similar Threads

  1. assume or presume
    By sarathnirmala in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Sep-2009, 20:27
  2. assume vs presume
    By dervast in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Jul-2009, 15:40
  3. assume
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Sep-2008, 11:23
  4. make a bid for the presidency
    By Itasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Jun-2007, 09:59
  5. assume
    By julio_li in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Aug-2005, 23:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •