English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Hello,
I would like a sound argument on the following: is there any situation in English when present perfect used with since/for denotes an action no longer taking place/happening in the present, but has, of course, present consequences? Or there is no such situation whatsoever?

Thank you and I look forward to your answer!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,
I would like a sound argument on the following: is there any situation in English when present perfect used with since/for denotes an action no longer taking place/happening in the present, but has, of course, present consequences? Or there is no such situation whatsoever?

Thank you and I look forward to your answer!
The station has been closed for ten years. The station has been closed since 2001.
Is that what you mean?

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Yes, something like that, although the ideea is the same as in the rest of the cases with for and since, i.e. the station is still closed; the finished action, that I referred to in my post, is that they stopped working there then, in the past. Did I understand correctly?

I feel that Present Perfect has many more implications than the usual uses listed in grammar books, and that these implications depend very much on the semantic load each verb carries. Am I right?

Thank you.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I've been to Italy twice.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've been to Italy twice since my daughter died.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I"ve eaten there many times since we moved here, but the last few times were not very good. I think I will take it off my list and not eat there again.

Matthew Hill

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
My feeling is that in all the above examples the underlying time reference is the past leading to the present.

Eg "I've been there twice since.../for..." the implied time expression is in my life so far (which is continuing in the present).

Matthew

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My feeling is that in all the above examples the underlying time reference is the past leading to the present.

Eg "I've been there twice since.../for..." the implied time expression is in my life so far (which is continuing in the present).
Quite. But, as I see it, that was not the point of your original question.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"My grandfather has been dead for forty six years." In this sentence we can see that he died forty six years ago, he is not still dying but he is still dead. I would say that in terms of your original question, "... there is no such situation whatsoever".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"My grandfather has been dead for forty six years." In this sentence we can see that he died forty six years ago, he is not still dying but he is still dead. I would say that in terms of your original question, "... there is no such situation whatsoever".
It depends on how you read the original question:

is there any situation in English when present perfect used with since/fordenotes an action no longer taking place/happening in the present, but has, of course, present consequences? Or there is no such situation whatsoever?

I think that my "I've been to Italy twice since my daughter died" does denote an action no longer taking place/happening in the present but having present consequences.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It depends on how you read the original question:

is there any situation in English when present perfect used with since/fordenotes an action no longer taking place/happening in the present, but has, of course, present consequences? Or there is no such situation whatsoever?

I think that my "I've been to Italy twice since my daughter died" does denote an action no longer taking place/happening in the present but having present consequences.
Yes I know, at first I wasn't sure what he meant hence my comments in post #2. In post #3 he clarifies (a bit) and, taking the two together, I came to my conclusion in post #9.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes I know, at first I wasn't sure what he meant hence my comments in post #2. In post #3 he clarifies (a bit) and, taking the two together, I came to my conclusion in post #9.
Right. Let's see if liliumcandidum has any comments/questions.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Greetings and thanks for answering me!
The idea is that in Romanian, students understand Pr Pf by associating it with these tenses of the Indicative:

Indicative Prezent (similar to Pres Simple in Engl)
John has lived here for 10 years. (as if you said: John lives here for ten years.) because he still lives here, he hasn't moved out

The same happens with Pr Pf Progr, which confuses them more as they don't see the point of expressing the same thing with two tenses, no matter how many times you may try explain to them that in this case it's the emphasis on the duration of the action which is still taking place in the present.

Now the above things come after you tell them, and here is the problem, that in the following they have to see this as Past action with present consequences:

I have read the book. (in Rom we use Indicative trecut (-understand Past Simple) as if we said in Engl I read the book.)

and have read and read do not cover the same meaning!

So, after this, many students understand this sentence:

John has lived here for 10 years.

as John lived here for 10 years. ie he doesn't live here anymore

As far as I have read and asked, many English native speakers see Pr Pf as a past tense while, as I have been taught, it is a present one, hence the name; when it comes to for and since, although the action began at some indefinite time in the past, the results linger on/continue up to the present, when for and since are folowed by time period.

This is it. I apologize if I was a bit unclear at the beggining of my post.
Thank you all and if there are any comments/suggestions, please do!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As far as I have read and asked, many English native speakers see Pr Pf as a past tense while, as I have been taught, it is a present one, hence the name;
I don't think you will find many native speakers who know anything about the language thinking of it is a past tense.
when it comes to for and since, although the action began at some indefinite time in the past, the results linger on/continue up to the present, when for and since are followed by a time period.
This is true of most uses of the present perfect. The action itself, or the results, consequences, implications, have some connection with present time.

Status
Not open for further replies.