Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,

This sentence is from an academic paper, and I'm not sure what "which" and "them" are referring to. The quotes are as follows:

Clean water is a basic human need. Its discovery, transport, and systematic renewal have always been crucial to all but the least densely populated societies. Increasing population and industrial wastes, together with diminishing sources of easily available energy with which to manage them, are converging to emphasize that all the earth’s resources are finite. But the supply of clean water, though also finite, is at least infinitely renewable.

To me, it seems that "which" refers to energy, and "them" refers to wastes. Is there only one way to look at the sentence? What does the third sentence mean exactly? Could any of you help analyze the sentence structure?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi AngelaLin

As a NES, but not a teacher, my reading of the paragraph would be that "which" refers back to "diminishing sources of easily available energy " and "them" refers to "industrial wastes".

Hope this helps
R21

PS I don't believe that the diminishing energy situation would have much effect on increasing population side!:)

Last edited:

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
Increasing population and industrial wastes, together with diminishing sources of easily available energy with which to manage them, are converging to emphasize that all the earth’s resources are finite. But) The supply of clean water, though also finite, is at least infinitely renewable.

That's a poorly-writ sentence, that is, though not technically wrong.

Sources of easily-available energy, required to manage increasing population and industrial wastes, are diminishing, emphasizing that earths' resources are finite.
Hmm.

Increasing wastes and diminishing sources don't really converge, except maybe on a graph.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the board, JT.

Please state that you are not a teacher in your replies.

Rover

AngelaLin

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you so much for answering my question, everyone!
As a newcomer, I find this forum a perfect place to discuss language!! :cool:
Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.