Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Could anyone tell me the exact differences please?

Could 'debit card' be used for telephone cards too?

Ta!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When I make a payment with my debit card, the money goes directly from my current account to that of the person I am paying.

I also use my debit card as a cash card, to draw money, via an ATM, from my current account.

When I make a payment with my credit card, the money goes from the credit card company to the person I am paying. I must repay this money, plus interest, after a period of time. I can also use my credit card as a cash card, but the money is coming from the credit card company, not my current account. I am effectively borrowng it from that company, and must repay it later.

With a debit card I use my own money; with a credit card I use borrowed money.

I don't know how telephone cards work. Sorry.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
When I make a payment with my debit card, the money goes directly from my current account to that of the person I am paying.

I also use my debit card as a cash card, to draw money, via an ATM, from my current account.

When I make a payment with my credit card, the money goes from the credit card company to the person I am paying. I must repay this money, plus interest, after a period of time. I can also use my credit card as a cash card, but the money is coming from the credit card company, not my current account. I am effectively borrowng it from that company, and must repay it later.

With a debit card I use my own money; with a credit card I use borrowed money.

I don't know how telephone cards work. Sorry.

As perfect as ever! Many thanks dear fivejedjon!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just a final note on this: When you have your debit card, and it has the little Visa or Mastercard symbol on it, it can be used anywhere that accepts credit cards.

However, even then, it's still coming directly out of your bank account. There is no middle lender.

When you use it as a debit card, you have to enter a personal identifaction number. Not every merchant is set up to accept debit cards, but most accept credit cards, so the same card works both ways to the merchant, but the same way to you -- that much money is immediately removed for your bank account.

There is a lower cost to the merchant to use it as a debit card. I always wonder why they don't train their employees to say "Is debit okay?" instead being utterly uninterested in your answer to "Credit or debit?"

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Phone cards are prepaid cards you buy in a store. Some of them can be topped off/refilled by calling the company that owns them and charging more money on your credit card.

Here at least you can't use your debit card with a pay phone but you can use a credit card. It is very expensive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.