Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Are these sentences correct:

1-One feature of the literary criticism of the seventies was a tendency to use certain philosophers as ultimate authorities, as in A's article of 1977.

2-One feature of the literary criticism of the seventies was a tendency to use certain philosophers as ultimate authorities, for instance in A's article of 1977.

Meaning: That tendency existed for instance in A's article of 1977.​

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Are these sentences correct:

1-One feature of the literary criticism of the seventies was a tendency to use certain philosophers as ultimate authorities, as in A's article of 1977.

2-One feature of the literary criticism of the seventies was a tendency to use certain philosophers as ultimate authorities, for instance in A's article of 1977.

Meaning: That tendency existed for instance in A's article of 1977.​

I would go with 2.

I would also rephrase ... as ultimate authorities, for instance in A's 1977 article "Deconstructing an Armadillo."

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would go with 2.

I would also rephrase ... as ultimate authorities, for instance in A's 1977 article "Deconstructing an Armadillo."

I agree, 2 is better. It is not the tendency that appears in A's article, but an example of the tendency. That said, most of us indulge in that sort of carelessness all the time, and it usually goes unnoticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.