Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear friends,

#1 He expects to fail the exam.
#2 He doesn't expect to pass the exam.

Would you please tell me whether those two sentences have exactly the same meaning?

What about if I want to express the idea that other people don't think he'll pass the exam? Do we usually say 'he isn't expected to pass the exam'?

Thank you!

Drear Pooson

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

I think the answer to your first question depends less upon the word expect and more upon whether you accept that passing an exam and failing an exam are the only two options (which, assuming he completes the exam, they probably are).

In regards to your second question, your proposal gets the point across, but it certainly isn't the only way to convey the idea.

"They don't expect him to pass the exam." is structured in a manner more nearly parallel to your previous sentences.

DP

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Not a teacher.

I think the answer to your first question depends less upon the word expect and more upon whether you accept that passing an exam and failing an exam are the only two options (which, assuming he completes the exam, they probably are).

In regards to your second question, your proposal gets the point across, but it certainly isn't the only way to convey the idea.

"They don't expect him to pass the exam." is structured in a manner more nearly parallel to your previous sentences.

DP
Sorry, I don't quite get what you mean. Please allow me ask the question this way: Does 'he doesn't expect to pass the exam' mean that he think he will not pass the exam?

Drear Pooson

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Dear friends,

#1 He expects to fail the exam.
#2 He doesn't expect to pass the exam.

Would you please tell me whether those two sentences have exactly the same meaning?

What about if I want to express the idea that other people don't think he'll pass the exam? Do we usually say 'he isn't expected to pass the exam'?

Thank you!

I think 1 and 2 are the same except that 2 allows the possibility that he might not even sit for the exam. Not much of a difference really.

I think "he isn't expected to pass" expresses perfectly the idea that other people think he won't make the grade.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thanks a lot! Drear Pooson.
I have another request.
"I expect to go there tomorrow" What are some possible questions that can match that answer? Thank you!

(through dialoges, I might understand the meaning of 'expect' better)

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I think 1 and 2 are the same except that 2 allows the possibility that he might not even sit for the exam. Not much of a difference really.

I think "he isn't expected to pass" expresses perfectly the idea that other people think he won't make the grade.
Thank you, probus.

Do you think 'he isn't expected to pass the exam' means about the same thing as 'they(other people) don't expect him to pass the exam'? If so, which is the more common way of conveying the idea?

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Do you think 'he isn't expected to pass the exam' means about the same thing as 'they(other people) don't expect him to pass the exam'? If so, which is the more common way of conveying the idea?

I do think the two expressions mean the same thing.

If the context is such that the people you are talking to know exactly who "they" are (perhaps his professors or his family), I would prefer the active voice. But if "they" just means people in general, the passive voice is fine.

Drear Pooson

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

Thanks a lot! Drear Pooson.
I have another request.
"I expect to go there tomorrow" What are some possible questions that can match that answer? Thank you!

(through dialoges, I might understand the meaning of 'expect' better)

"Will you be going to the bank soon?"
"Have you visited the art museum?"
"Have you been to the new Italian restaurant?"

DP

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I do think the two expressions mean the same thing.

If the context is such that the people you are talking to know exactly who "they" are (perhaps his professors or his family), I would prefer the active voice. But if "they" just means people in general, the passive voice is fine.
I get it! Thank you so much for your time!

Last edited:

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Not a teacher.

"Will you be going to the bank soon?"
"Have you visited the art museum?"
"Have you been to the new Italian restaurant?"

DP
Thank you! Drear Pooson. They really help!:lol: So,'I expect to go there tomorrow' means 'I think I will go there tomorrow'. Is that right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.