[General] can not understand what I just read. please help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebecca145

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Reading an interesting study about incivility. it is titled incivility the rude stranger in everyday life. now the part of the book ive come to a hault at, and I'm sure this will not be the first time this happens is the following phrase: 'hey-honey' hassles. the context is in the paragraph that incivilities are measured in existing research agenda in a narrow way. Early theoretical treatments within the 'broken windows' tradition made mention of tricky interpersonal confrontations, 'hey-honey' hassles, the degradation of solicitation, the intimidating presence of the squeegee bandit and so forth. I'd appreciate someones help interppretting that as best as possible. Thank you

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Reading an interesting study about incivility. it is titled incivility the rude stranger in everyday life. now the part of the book ive come to a hault at, and I'm sure this will not be the first time this happens is the following phrase: 'hey-honey' hassles. the context is in the paragraph that incivilities are measured in existing research agenda in a narrow way. Early theoretical treatments within the 'broken windows' tradition made mention of tricky interpersonal confrontations, 'hey-honey' hassles, the degradation of solicitation, the intimidating presence of the squeegee bandit and so forth. I'd appreciate someones help interppretting that as best as possible. Thank you

Some slimy guy harassing a woman walking down the street with his "hey, honey".

The authors are mentioning things that can be intimidating or disruptive in an urban environment. The "broken windows" is a sociological theory.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
PS

Just a general comment without knowing why you're reading this book, etc:

I wouldn't get hung up on understanding something so specific unless I'm just being curious or it seems crucial to understanding the text. Here the author is mentioning things that are disruptive in the urban environment as examples -- if you understand that, you're fine.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I found it difficult to understand your post. Try to use punctuation and capital letters to make it easier to read.

I am [STRIKE]R[/STRIKE]reading an interesting study about incivility. [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE]It is titled "[STRIKE]i[/STRIKE]Incivility, the rude stranger in everyday life". [STRIKE]n[/STRIKE]Now the part of the book [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE]I've come to a h[STRIKE]a[/STRIKE]ult at, and I'm sure this will not be the first time this happens, is the following phrase: " 'hey-honey' hassles". etc

Status
Not open for further replies.