• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb can not understand what I just read. please help?

Reading an interesting study about incivility. it is titled incivility the rude stranger in everyday life. now the part of the book ive come to a hault at, and I'm sure this will not be the first time this happens is the following phrase: 'hey-honey' hassles. the context is in the paragraph that incivilities are measured in existing research agenda in a narrow way. Early theoretical treatments within the 'broken windows' tradition made mention of tricky interpersonal confrontations, 'hey-honey' hassles, the degradation of solicitation, the intimidating presence of the squeegee bandit and so forth. I'd appreciate someones help interppretting that as best as possible. Thank you

freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: can not understand what I just read. please help?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca145 View Post
    Reading an interesting study about incivility. it is titled incivility the rude stranger in everyday life. now the part of the book ive come to a hault at, and I'm sure this will not be the first time this happens is the following phrase: 'hey-honey' hassles. the context is in the paragraph that incivilities are measured in existing research agenda in a narrow way. Early theoretical treatments within the 'broken windows' tradition made mention of tricky interpersonal confrontations, 'hey-honey' hassles, the degradation of solicitation, the intimidating presence of the squeegee bandit and so forth. I'd appreciate someones help interppretting that as best as possible. Thank you
    Some slimy guy harassing a woman walking down the street with his "hey, honey".

The authors are mentioning things that can be intimidating or disruptive in an urban environment. The "broken windows" is a sociological theory.

freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PS

Just a general comment without knowing why you're reading this book, etc:

I wouldn't get hung up on understanding something so specific unless I'm just being curious or it seems crucial to understanding the text. Here the author is mentioning things that are disruptive in the urban environment as examples -- if you understand that, you're fine.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: can not understand what I just read. please help?

I found it difficult to understand your post. Try to use punctuation and capital letters to make it easier to read.

I am Rreading an interesting study about incivility. iIt is titled "iIncivility, the rude stranger in everyday life". nNow the part of the book iI've come to a hault at, and I'm sure this will not be the first time this happens, is the following phrase: " 'hey-honey' hassles". etc