• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Commas

#1. The patient states that he has had occipital headaches that are worse towards the evening.

#2. The patient says that they are occipital in nature and will again be worse in the evening.

#3. The patient states that the arm pain is rated 2-8/10 depending on the time of day and again worsens with activity towards the end of the day and are associated with his headaches.

This is exactly what the doctor dictates, without punctuation. He is repeating that the patient has already told him the pain will be worse in the evening. How do I punctuate to keep from reading like the patient's pain is happening for the second time.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Commas

Quote Originally Posted by jolibutler View Post
    #1. The patient states that he has had occipital headaches that are worse towards the evening.
    #2. The patient says that they are occipital in nature and will again be worse in the evening.
    #3. The patient states that the arm pain is rated 2-8/10 depending on the time of day and again worsens with activity towards the end of the day and are associated with his headaches.

This is exactly what the doctor dictates, without punctuation. He is repeating that the patient has already told him the pain will be worse in the evening. How do I punctuate to keep from reading like the patient's pain is happening for the second time.
    I am not an expert on how commas are used in the United States, but I suggest that simply omitting 'again' in #2 and #3 helps.

minnieuk is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    I am not an expert on how commas are used in the United States, but I suggest that simply omitting 'again' in #2 and #3 helps.
    Nor am I, but I was told by a previous tutor at university that in the US it is customary to put a comma before 'and'.
    However, I don't read any of the sentences as meaning the pain is happening for the second time. It reads more as though the patient has spoken about the pain a second time.

Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    . . . but I suggest that simply omitting 'again' in #2 and #3 helps.
    Unfortunately, omitting words from a doctor's dictated report is not an option most medical secretaries would dare to make.

Rover

freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jolibutler View Post

If you read 1-3 as one paragraph, i.e. again keeps referring to sentence 1, just set off again with commas.

The patient states that he has had occipital headaches that are worse towards the evening. The patient says that they are occipital in nature and will, again, be worse in the evening. The patient states that the arm pain is rated 2-8/10 depending on the time of day and, again, worsens with activity towards the end of the day and are associated with his headaches.