How to thank in advance in a proper way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Today I've come across an interesting topic, which, I believe, must be discussed by both English teachers and English learners to avoid any forms of misunderstanding.

As many other learners, I used to think, that the words 'thank you in advance (or beforehand)' express my thankfulness for all the responses coming next. So, after nyota noticed that it might not really be so, I decided to clarify this question in a single thread and get sure if the words really mean 'I anticipate all the responses to my question and thank you for them'.

Because if they don't I (and other learners too for sure) would really like to know a more proper way to express my gratitude for help.

p.s. this topic shouldn't be taken too seriously, yet may be useful, for:
1) the English learners will learn a better way to communicate in such situations
and
2) the English teachers will get their 'thank you' reward, which they really deserve for helping us to know English better.
:smilecol:

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Today I've come across an interesting topic, which, I believe, must be discussed by both English teachers and English learners to avoid any forms of misunderstanding.

As many other learners, I used to think, that the words 'thank you in advance (or beforehand)' express my thankfulness for all the responses coming next. So, after nyota noticed that it might not really be so, I decided to clarify this question in a single thread and get sure if the words really mean 'I anticipate all the responses to my question and thank you for them'.

Because if they don't I (and other learners too for sure) would really like to know a more proper way to express my gratitude for help.

p.s. this topic shouldn't be taken too seriously, yet may be useful, for:
1) the English learners will learn a better way to communicate in such situations
and
2) the English teachers will get their 'thank you' reward, which they really deserve for helping us to know English better.
:smilecol:
There is no need to offer thanks in advance. All you have to do is this: thank each person who responds by clicking on "like" at the bottom right of the post.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
'I anticipate all the responses to my question and thank you for them'.

I personally don't see a problem with it.

However, one might argue that "Thank you in advance" assumes that the person will do what you're asking them to do and it could appear pushy.

Edit: spelling mistake!

Last edited:

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
'I anticipate all the responces to my question and thank you for them'.

I personally don't see a problem with it.

However, one might argue that "Thank you in advance" assumes that the person will do what you're asking them to do and it could appear pushy.

Why did you change "responses" to "responces"?

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Oh, yes, there were some mistakes, which I see now. This time the matter is not about it. But thank you )

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
the English teachers will get their 'thank you' reward, which they really deserve for helping us to know English better.
I wrote this in another thread, but I think it's worth saying again:

I do NOT expect thanks for what I do, and I am sure that most people in this forum don't either. We take part in this forum because we enjoy it.It is just that sometimes I give a detailed answer to a question. When I look back a few hours later to see if there is a follow-up question, there is no sign that my answer has been read. I then look back the following day, and then a couple of days later, and still no sign. I begin to wonder if it was worth answering - perhaps the person who asked just posted the question and forgot it. That's when the like tells me that I didn't waste my time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.