Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the synonym of "cool"?

Hi all,
    Could anyone, especially native English speakers, give me a help?
    I am finding a formal word which has equivalent meaning to the word "cool" (attractive, good-looking and different), and its antonym?
    Or in English, as a native speaker, what word can you use as a replacement for the word "cool" when you want to express this sense in a document? and its antonym?
    I need the formal words because these two words will appear in a questionaire.
    Thank all of you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is the synonym of "cool"?

Quote Originally Posted by vhtan
    Hi all,
    Could anyone, especially native English speakers, give me a help?
    I am finding a formal word which has equivalent meaning to the word "cool" (attractive, good-looking and different), and its antonym?
    Or in English, as a native speaker, what word can you use as a replacement for the word "cool" when you want to express this sense in a document? and its antonym?
    I need the formal words because these two words will appear in a questionaire.
    Thank all of you in advance!
    synonyms:composed, collected, nonchalant, poised.
    antonyms: dispalying warmth and affection: warm, affectionate, caring, friendly, responsive.

This is what I would use when describing a person. I am not sure what you mean by express this sense in a document? Do you mean it's too informal? If so, I think you are right, we should avoid that one in formal writing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Marylin and others a lot,
    As you say, actually "cool" is a informmal or slang term that has multi-meaning and its meaning changes depending on context, e.g. decribing human characteristic or describing appearance of someone or something. And what you show me is a bit different to what I want to express. It is about "car". If we compare car with other vehicles, "Car is cool"? which means that in general car is more good-looking, attractive and distinct than other vehicles like bus, bike ect.
    So in this case instead of using an informal word of "cool" , what word is the best choice in formal writing? (And the correspondent antonym?)
    Another thing is that: I wonder if it is possible to use "cool" to describe car in general other than a specific car?
    Best regards.

Post Thanks / Like

So in this case instead of using an informal word of "cool" , what word is the best choice in formal writing? (And the correspondent antonym?)
    Another thing is that: I wonder if it is possible to use "cool" to describe car in general other than a specific car?

The word "cool" is used to describe almost anything nowadays. A cool car is generally speaking a car that's very appealing, classy, sharp looking, stylish, trendy, chic, etc. You can use any of those adjectives to describe a car as well.

Post Thanks / Like

hi
    my name is ray and i am from asia. i can surely help you with synonyms and also antonyms. i can read and speak english very well. also, i can ead and write the french language verya well. i have a list of web sites that will give you complete information about the english language. do write to me at rajiv22in with @ yahoo.com.

regards
    ray