Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can anyone direct me to a program where I am able to draw my own diagrams in both English and Latin, so I may upload those diagrams here for comment? I saw a few of them posted by Mr. Antonson. I tried to use the Insert function of my Word program to draw; however, I could not figure out how to place words on the diagonal. I am not very computer savvy.

My sentence, Romani imperatori et ducibus praemia dederunt quod Gallos vicerunt, translates to, The Romans gave rewards to the general and leaders because they conquered the Gauls.

In English, I believe the sentences would connect by 'because' with a dotted line from 'gave' to 'conquered'.

Romans gave rewards, to generals and leaders

because

they conquered Gauls

I am not sure if I should handle 'quod' the same, as Latin diagramming is slightly different from English diagramming.

In addition, the Latin dative is diagrammed from the end of the accusative, rather than from the verb, and I have connected 'imperatori' and 'ducibus' by a dotted line and the word 'et', and would like to check my accuracy.

I hope this explanation makes sense. I wish I could diagram it for you.

Thanks,

Andrea

agmwne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I need help with the Latin diagram below, as well. Please excuse my diagram. I know the lines should be connected (and no dots); however, I used my keyboard to create the lines and I am having trouble formatting. Are either of these diagrams correct?

Thank you,

Andrea

Christus, Filius Dei, est homo propter salutem hominum.

Christus (Filius)| est \homo
|Dei ...............................|propter
.............................................|salutem
..................................................|hominum
OR

Christus (Filius)| est \homo|salutem
|Dei .........................................|propter
.......................................................|hominum

Last edited:

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Andrea,

I use a program called "Smart Draw". It may not be easy for you to get it.

My students in school, however, are quite able to use some other program.

Consult the website "humanitynotes.webs.com" and go to the syntax section. Also, on that website's forum you might find that one of my students would be willing to explain how they do it.

Don't get discouraged. I am not sure where you are from, but the Latin/French teacher at Bedford High School has recently become quite interested in diagramming.

Let me know what you find out.

Frank

agmwne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Frank,
Thank you for the information and the link. I will see what I am able to find. I edited my second post with a line of dots to push the diagrammed words into the correct spots (I hope). Are you able to tell me if one of the diagrams is correct?

Thanks,

Andrea

Update - Frank, I joined the humanitynotes.webs.com forum. I started a new thread, but did not see it post after hitting the submit button. I will check back tomorrow in the event the posts are delayed. I also took a look at the syntax page. Thank you for the link.

Last edited:

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Andrea,

That forum has sometimes not seemed to work well. I will look at it.

It is completely the work of two of my students.

There should be no reason at all why you couldn't use Reed-Kellogg diagramming for Latin. The Latin teacher and I discussed it. You may have to use a lot of "x"'s because of understood words -- like pronouns that are not necessary because the information is carried by the verb endings (inflections).

The same will be true for some of the prepositions because of the information carried by the case endings.

Do you realize that there are other systems of diagramming besides Reed-Kellogg? I do not know them at all, but they used to be used somewhat on this forum. "Tree diagrams" and "phrase structure diagrams", I believe they are called.

Also, probably the current world authority on Reed-Kellogg has produced a book called "Drawing Sentences". In it he has diagrammed some Latin and German sentences. Eugene Moutoux, I think is his name.

Frank

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's interesting how you did your diagram. I think it works -- just isn't as pretty as Reed-Kellogg

Status
Not open for further replies.